#181 stettoman

stettoman

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • aka:stett, stetto, ernestetto, Eric

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:09 AM

I guess I'm officially in the club. Upon close inspection of my Aji Oro this morning I discovered these guys.

43879303_556394468143176_356791893009996

Never had aphids. Now I do. Anyone want to let me know what I'm in for?

Yes, we have those pesky ladybug looking critters, anyone with a mile of a soybean field will suffer them, but I know is they stink if you step on or swat one hard enough. They eat aphids, yes?

Sorry to impose, but I'm in my initial panic state, it will pass.........right?

Do what I mean, not what I say.....

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#182 CaneDog

CaneDog

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:35 AM

I guess I'm officially in the club. Upon close inspection of my Aji Oro this morning I discovered these guys.

Never had aphids. Now I do. Anyone want to let me know what I'm in for?

Sorry to impose, but I'm in my initial panic state, it will pass.........right?

That sucks Stetto.  I've had this happen before not getting them all removed when bringing plants indoors at the end of the season.  Never failed to eradicate them, though. 

I've always started treatment by removing the bulk of the aphids, either tilting the plant and spraying it off with the hose or carefully with warmer water using a hand-held shower head in the shower, or by inverting the plant, if small enough, and submersing into a 5g bucket of lukewarm water and agitating.  Either way tons of the little bastards will come off and it removes some of that sticky honeydew residue off the leaves.

After that I've done the plant-safe soap and water trick, apply, let sit a few, then rinse and keep out of any intense light until dry.  Neem works too, but I've always had success with the soap.  Also, I repeat the process once or twice with a several days time gap between to catch the ones that survived or eggs that hatched subsequently.  Seems the warmer and more humid the plants are kept the faster those little bastards multiply.

Good luck man.  Hopefully your next season will be gangbusters and pay you off for the efforts!

#183 stettoman

stettoman

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • aka:stett, stetto, ernestetto, Eric

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:50 AM

Haven't seen aphid one in a month, hope they aren't laying in the weeds for Christmas.

A little November surprise:

45572608_570344240081532_370222802064428

This is fruit from my Ecuadorian Red....yep, that one.

I decided to overwinter ALL of my Rocotos, some are in south facing windows, some in a windowless room in the cellar under stoe-bought sunlight. All are doing well, though I've done nary a trim but to test clone a couple Turbo Pube. It would be so dammed nice to have some pod setting in late June or earlier. Some of my plants haven't set a fruit yet...

Do what I mean, not what I say.....

#184 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 6,582 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:35 AM

Nice man, looking good!

We're about to get our first frost here on Saturday, so I plan on picking everything still on my rocoto plants over the next few days. I haven't gone out in the garden in over a week, so I'm sure there are lots of ripe pods to harvest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests