268 replies to this topic

#261 stettoman

stettoman

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,828 posts
  • aka:stett, stetto, ernestetto, Eric

Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:31 PM

How about your XL Browns, 'Dog? Mine are still not coming out, the only other Pube I haven't got at least one of is the Pineapple Rocotos from GIP.

If memory serves, those Ecuador Reds are a bit hotter than most of the Rocotos I've grown so far.

Do what I mean, not what I say.....

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#262 CaneDog

CaneDog

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 04:04 PM

Not great, unfortunately.  I had 2 sprout out of about 8+/- I planted.  I got my notes mixed up earlier and thought the original planting had sprouted after 3 weeks, when actually those haven't sprouted after about a month and the two that did sprout were from the replacement planting and hooked at days 9 and 10. 

I got the seeds from the same source along with the mini-browns (3/3 germ) and a few tough-to-germ varieties that germinated at strong %'s, so I don't know what's up with the XL Browns.  I'm keeping both plantings under conditions to see if anything else comes up, but it's looking like this just wasn't the best batch for whatever reason.  Sorry man.

On a positive note (for me at least) everything you sent me (with the sole exception of no big jims showing up yet) germinated really well. I ended up planting the Large Reds, Ecuadors (I wonder if these are the same variety as SLP's EFH strain given the heat), and the Turbos, plus Aleppo, Antake and Antep Aci Dolma.  All much appreciated.

#263 stettoman

stettoman

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:00 PM

Not great, unfortunately.  I had 2 sprout out of about 8+/- I planted.  I got my notes mixed up earlier and thought the original planting had sprouted after 3 weeks, when actually those haven't sprouted after about a month and the two that did sprout were from the replacement planting and hooked at days 9 and 10.  I guess we can't all have a Giant Brown...But I do have a mini Brown out the groun'. That'll do!! :party:

On a positive note (for me at least) everything you sent me (with the sole exception of no big jims showing up yet) germinated really well. I ended up planting the Large Reds, Ecuadors (I wonder if these are the same variety as SLP's EFH strain given the heat), and the Turbos, plus Aleppo, Antake and Antep Aci Dolma.  All much appreciated. You can thank the Moruga Welder next time you see him for those Middle-East specimens! Frank RAWKS!! :metal: 

The Large Red, Turbo and Ecuador Red I sent you came out of pods I grew from seed sent me by our benefactor, Thegreenchilemonster. Between you and him I'm nasty with Rocotos this year!!

#264 CaneDog

CaneDog

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:39 PM

Well, props out to all involved!  :metal:   

With everything I'm seeing and hearing so far it looks like this thread's going to be absolutely filthy with rocotos this season!

Edited by CaneDog, 01 April 2019 - 06:40 PM.

#265 DanMcG

DanMcG

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:52 AM

Just an update, at about 8 weeks. crazy how it's branching out. 

IMG_2474.JPG

And I may have got a little carried away with the nute's last week, everything is a very deep dark green. But it looks good on them.

How many hours a day do ya think they should be under the lights? I was doing 16 hr's and at the end of the days everything looks tired, so I 've been shortening their exposer. maybe only 14.

#266 stettoman

stettoman

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:17 AM

Just an update, at about 8 weeks. crazy how it's branching out. 

attachicon.gif IMG_2474.JPG

And I may have got a little carried away with the nute's last week, everything is a very deep dark green. But it looks good on them.

How many hours a day do ya think they should be under the lights? I was doing 16 hr's and at the end of the days everything looks tired, so I 've been shortening their exposer. maybe only 14.

Consider that due to the tropical origins of many/most peppers, the equatorial 12 hour day should be sufficient. Rocotos are not sun babies, and I'm finding that mine are thriving at that 12-hour span. Type of light matters, and I'm no technician, but I only give my Pubes about 4 hours of morning/evening direct sun per day in the summer, and they seem to like it.

I have a "control" group of various pepper types in a south facing window that are telling me how much more they like real sun than fake LED facsimiles. The cups furthest away are new arrivals as of yesterday.

4-2-19 window.jpg

These peppers counterparts are growing noticeably slower in the grow room, with a couple exceptions, one a Gelbe Riesen that was the first hook a month ago, and an Aji Arnaucho, both very vigorous after having hooked at 5 days gestation...

#267 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:51 AM

I put 5 plants (not pubes) in a south facing window a few days ago. About the same size as yours. They loved it. My others are under a mix of 4k, 6.5k and 8k florescent bulbs. I have 5 more of the exact same plants still under those bulbs. Same seeds all started at the same time and all in the same seedling mix. Growth from the window sill plants is better in just a few days.

Next year a 8 bulb T5 fixture will be a must if i want to improve growth inside. I dont have enough south facing sills and moving seedlings from east to west sills daily is a pain.

#268 DanMcG

DanMcG

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:03 AM

Brothers from different mothers? 

Seeds from the same package, and planted at the same time. Interesting how their growth habit is totally different. To me anyways. 

resized square.JPG

Edited by DanMcG, 08 April 2019 - 04:09 AM.

#269 stettoman

stettoman

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:02 AM

It's always possible, Dan, even from commercial dealers. Isolation isn't always the exact science some would have you believe...Grow 'em out, see how they pod.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests