• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

advice on Carolina Reaper

I made a successful batch of hot sauce a month ago. I used 15 habaneros that I cut the top off and de seeded. It is not near as hot as I would hope (more spicy than hot). In the future I plan on NOT removing the seeds of maybe half the habs and that should heat things up.

For Christmas my wife bought me 2 Carolina Reapers via web order.They are fresh peppers and came in a zip loc bag inside a cardboard box. I plan on making another batch of the same recipe and want to use these reapers before they go bad. My recipe makes enough for 8-9 5 ounce bottles. Should I use both peppers or just one? De seed or not?

On another note can I take some of the seeds from one of the peppers and store them till spring and then start them in some potting soil to re grow next summer? Never tried to grow peppers from a seed before. I have a bag of dried seeds from some peppers a neighbor gave me this fall and i am going to try and grow some of that species as well.

The seeds don't have much heat. It's the placenta. Use a small tweezer to pull your seeds and leave the placenta.

Take a small slice of a reaper and eat it. This will provide your answer.

Go read some of the grow logs from people up your way. I refer you specifically to randyp of Iowa.

cmwr said:
On another note can I take some of the seeds from one of the peppers and store them till spring and then start them in some potting soil to re grow next summer? Never tried to grow peppers from a seed before. I have a bag of dried seeds from some peppers a neighbor gave me this fall and i am going to try and grow some of that species as well.

Heck yeah - give it a try.    

+1 what DWB and rickster said.  Check out the Glogs for lots of great tips.  Reapers take a long time to produce ripe pods.  I'd grow them in pots this year - that way you can bring them in if you run out of growing season.   

Next year you will be ready for a massive pepper grow.  :)  :onfire:

Edit: typo

Back