• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How can we tell ( by look ) if a pepper is ready to be picked?

Depends what you're going for. If you want a green jalapeno then pick it when it turns dark green. Or if you want it red, then just keep it on the plant til it turns a dark red. Habanero can be picked green but I think most people prefer the orangish yellow so wait until theres no green or paleness to the color. If you're planning to harvest seeds from them, you want them to stay ripe on the plant for as long as possible.

webcan said:
How can we tell ( by look ) if a pepper is ready to be picked? I have Jalapeno and habaneros pepper.

Jalapenos will go from light green to dark green (great for fresh eating) to dark red (excellent for sauce and seed saving). Habs will mature from green to an almost bright orange at full ripeness.

I prefer ripe peppers almost exclusively, though green peppers certainly have their place.  It can be tough waiting out a ripe pepper though, so don't feel bad sampling from your green fruits as you wait for the others to ripen.  ;)

hay, thanks guys :)  I find it a little hard to tell do to my light ( Kindleds which are different colors make it hard to tell even what color the pepper is LOL ) but I sort of tell the color if I bend the light a little away.. I just no sure what size is ready because I am new to this :) but from what others that see my plants they keep saying ( well just a week or so away ) but I think some maybe comparing it too what they see in the market which is soft with lines in them. these are firmer and solid dark green.

The habs was bright orange yellow this was a little easier to tell :)

I only got Hab though out of a whole plant :(  something I am doing is making lots of flowers but no fruit.. but thats on a different post..

Thank you all for responding..

Back