Thats something that never gets old, seeing new sprouts. Gives you something to look forward to everyday. Sorry to hear about the fungal issue you had. I'm guessing thats the same thing that happened to a few of my first round of seedlings. I sterilized the soil and didn't over water and it still happened. I didn't lose a single seedling last year and this year I've lost close to 10 already. I'm also growing on a much larger scale this year so it's bound to happen I guess.
No mold/fungus/whatever the hell it was tonight. The H2O2 knocked it out. I haven't had any die off from fungus, that I know of (no early damping off). All of the ones I have lost have been seed heads.
sounds like you have too many changing variables. should test one thing at a time.
I have 64 trays of peppers growing this year (4,608 plants) there's lots of controlled experiments happening.
If I tried only one thing a year I wouldn't know what I'm doing before I retire. I still might not know what I'm doing in 20 years but at this rate I should have better odds.
This Glog is better than any tv show.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You need to watch better TV shows.
Punisher. The Expanse. Altered Carbon. There's some good ones out these days
Good to see you were able to get the glog moved over here. It should get a lot more traffic
Sorry about the germ woes. I'll post some things I've learned through trial and error, and have worked for me, hopefully helpfull:
Coir for germing is so far the best IMHO. Last year I used Black Gold seed starter, 1" deep on top of MG potting soil in 3.5" pots. I bottom soaked them until they were saturated added the seeds and they germed 'OK'. I just set the trays inside the house on a table. This winter has been colder, so the room was 63-66°. It's on the North side of the house and away from the fireplace which keeps the rooms we're in nice and cozy.
So this year I made a mix of 5 parts coir, 1 part perlite, and 1 part potting soil. Did the same with the 1" on top of the potting soil in the 3.5" pots. I put these in a 24x8' insulated room in the shop 8"s below the lights and had a small heater running when it really got cold, keeping the area under the lights at 76-80°. Almost every seed popped and most in record time for me here based on past results.
One last thing. I've tried a heat mat. It ran way hot. Some use towels to insulate. I used a cheapo light dimmer, and it worked like a charm.
One thing you didn't mention, or I missed it, is what the temps are in the grow room? How large is it? I did notice my room wanted to go 'petri' as the moisture stayed in that room. I noticed that @ 55-60 days, so I cracked the door to the rest of the shop which is 32x24' and that helped. That part of the shop is insulated as well and rarely gets below 64° as per the thermometer in the hot rod.
Just food for thought
It's a stable 68F in the grow room. Humidity has been very low this week so I haven't had much problem with moisture yet. I ran in to fungus problems because I didn't realize that with growing mats you don't need humidity domes. My dumb.
I also didn't anticipate the T5 HO's being so warm. And I was kind of dumb and left the warming mats on under it on top of that lol.
I got what I needed off them though; an early trial run to work out some of the kinks before the big trays went down. If I'd made those same mistakes on 30 trays instead of a few.. I might be rather sad right now.
The heating mats are keeping the trays at 85, and 50% of the T5 output (they have two switches) also keeps the trays that have sprouted at 85F. So I think I"m good for now. Once the plants get established I should be able to crank up the lights to full and off to the races...