• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bad peppers

Well I grew the Aji Habanero variety a few years ago, it was labeled as a very mild in heat sweet pepper.  I remember it being "very seedy" and not much sweetness to speak of.   I think the amount of seeds and bitterness of them affected the taste of the pepper greatly. 

I cant really say I dislike many peppers, as I think some are better in certain applications and such.  I like Aji Peppers pickled like pepper rings, so in the right application all peppers are pretty good usually. 

That being said the Aji Habanero was a real disappointment for me. 

Cheers

Edmick said:
Bell peppers. Not a lot of flavor and the plants are poor producers.
gotta grow these , great flavor with jalapeno heat ,  :party:
IMG_5674.JPG

I'm assuming Cajun bell. If so, I have seeds for it. It's on my grow list.

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T. My least favorite superhot pepper. The few that I have tried all had a very strong, perfume-like floral taste that I really didn't care for. I suppose they might be OK in a sauce or used in cooking where the floralness could be masked a bit, but not eaten fresh like I did.

Sinn said:
Those ANTEP ACI DOLMA sound tasty anyone have a link to seeds? looked at the usual places none seems to carry them :tear:

Ford's is the only vendor that I have seen selling them, but he seems to be out of stock right now. Here is the link anyway: http://www.fordsfieryfoodsandplants.com/Antep-aci-dolma

BlackFatalii said:
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T. My least favorite superhot pepper. The few that I have tried all had a very strong, perfume-like floral taste that I really didn't care for. I suppose they might be OK in a sauce or used in cooking where the floralness could be masked a bit, but not eaten fresh like I did.

Ford's is the only vendor that I have seen selling them, but he seems to be out of stock right now. Here is the link anyway: http://www.fordsfieryfoodsandplants.com/Antep-aci-dolma

Thank you will keep an eye on that hopefully they get some soon

I think bell peppers are not my favorite. They give me heartburn and the nasty taste of them sticks around for hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant stand any small C. Anuums.. full of seeds and yuck taste. Examples are birds eye and black pearl.. again just full of seeds and what small amount of flesh there is tastes crap. Great ornamentals though.

Also agree on the Butch T scorpion they taste like fuel to me (yes Ive tasted petrol but not intentionally).

Red and caramel Ghosts are also horrible IMO they taste like pot puri dipped in hydrochloric acid.

Everybody is different though and many people enjoy the varieties I have listed so best way is to grow as much as you can and see for yourself.

Mammoth, Giganti or Goliath jalapeno.....every single one i grew had almost no heat at all and even the flavor was terribly bland.

Birds eye and Thai dragon cayenne hybrid....all i can taste is heat and full of seeds. At least a Tabasco pepper makes a very interesting hot vinegar and some of the more common cayeene have a flavor other than just heat....Super Chiles are the only ones i still like to grow each year just because the hot vinegar is so good and they grow like a weed.

BlackFatalii said:

This place has them too
http://chilli-seedz.com/shop/chilli-seeds/antep-aci-dolma/

Worst? So far, any "ornamental" type I've ever grown. Yeah, they're hot, but they're usually bitter, IMO. They're not known for their great flavor or anything though, lol

Red Fatalii or Red Scotch Bonnet, "Foodarama" strain are the first things that come to mind after ornamentals. Might be the only 2 pods I've ever spit out because of the flavor. I felt that taste (of both) was very "vegetabley" and bitter. Just my opinion

I actually like Bells (all colors). They serve their purpose. I like them baked and stuffed, sautéed, or raw dipped in ranch dressing. I use them all the time to "bulk up" hot sauces. Sure, there are better varieties out there for those things, but I don't mind them at all

Back