• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

Good luck Scott, but I know you do not need it. It is crazy, just watched you pull you last pods from the growdown.

Lots of usable peppers there...good eating!

I just got 7 varieties of pube seed wet tonight (TY to you and Thegreenchilemonster).  I think I should have a couple more buried in my seedbox.  Excited to see what happens with my pube push.   Hoping for one that works well for me.

Buying peppers in the grocery stores up here is lean pickins.  But it occurred to me today that I should check out the Latino markets in the area.  We have a lot of Mexican and Guatemalan people in the county and several markets, so maybe some Manzano peppers may show up here.
That would be a welcome treat for me!

Have a good season.

tctenten said:
Good luck Scott, but I know you do not need it. It is crazy, just watched you pull you last pods from the growdown.

Thanks Terry!

Crazy it is! Time to slack off some. I've yet to make any sauces. Powder we got. I "think" I'm scaling back this year....probably not :shh:

cone9 said:
Lots of usable peppers there...good eating!

I just got 7 varieties of pube seed wet tonight (TY to you and Thegreenchilemonster).  I think I should have a couple more buried in my seedbox.  Excited to see what happens with my pube push.   Hoping for one that works well for me.

Buying peppers in the grocery stores up here is lean pickins.  But it occurred to me today that I should check out the Latino markets in the area.  We have a lot of Mexican and Guatemalan people in the county and several markets, so maybe some Manzano peppers may show up here.
That would be a welcome treat for me!

Have a good season.

Thanks Dave!

The Aji Oro, Mini Red Rocoto, and the Aji Largo did pretty well here in my heat. You should have no problem. I do feel they are slower growers than most, so sow the pubes early.

I've never tried the markets, that's a good idea!

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Mostly Annuum's here. LB had a Jalapeno request this year along with some choices for her to taste test making the Chili Relleno. She digs in and helps, so I'll grow anything she asks for.

15.jpg

17.jpg

I put them in the #1 pots early because I start multiple seeds in the starter pots. I don't want them so large that I hurt the root system when I separate them. I have 30 #2 pots to move them into later if needed. I'm not a fan of them getting root bound.

12.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Trying to keep things under control; some extras to share with fellow workers. Note the cardboard pots we made. I'm cool with giving plants away, but no one ever returns the pots. ;)

karoo said:
Looking good.
Excellent plants for mid Jan.
Best of luck.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Thanks Karoo!

I have a good feeling about this season!

Devv said:

Thanks Karoo!

I have a good feeling about this season!

You have good dirt, a green thumb, sunshade(no need for that up here), a cooperative spouse and a THP family.

All the essentials for a fine pepper garden

You're off to a good start Scott! :party:

Looking forward to following along again this year, hopefully you'll get even more success than 2017!

A great list of specimens too!

Devv said:
Trying to keep things under control; some extras to share with fellow workers. Note the cardboard pots we made. I'm cool with giving plants away, but no one ever returns the pots. ;)

Heh... true that!   Hoping this season is a stellar one for you Scott. Love the list as well. Cheers!

Great List!  Best of luck this year.  Definitely watching those Antep Aci Dolmas.  I will be growing them this year as well but will probably start annuums in March/April timeframe.

What size square pots are you using? Was going to order some supplies. Wasn't sure if I should go straight into square or start small and transplant

Back