• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fabric pots vs. plastic

For me least the the fabric pots have out performed the standard black plastic nursery pots by a mile. More productive healthier plants. They are MUCH cheaper as well. What has been your experience, if youve used them?

I had good results growing in 3 gallon fabric bags. Roots are kept pruned automatically, by the bag, which tends to keep the plant healthy for that size of container.

Only downside is they dry out fast. I had to water mine daily, which was a chore, with 60 of the things.

rZt5dfx.jpg

Dollar Tree sells small white tubs for a buck. They work great for the Walmart bags and some pots. Just drill a hole about an inch or two from the bottom if you are concerned about them staying too wet when it rains. Those tubs made it a heckuva a lot easier keeping the wally bags from drying out.

bqA5Gf5.jpg

aJdHKjp.jpg

tlS7k12.jpg

I've had good luck indoor growing with them, but I'm only 3 months in. Growing in 3 gallon grow bags and only water about every 7-10 days. Plant saucers or tubs are a good idea to catch run off when watering.

Hafners said:
I've had good luck indoor growing with them, but I'm only 3 months in. Growing in 3 gallon grow bags and only water about every 7-10 days. Plant saucers or tubs are a good idea to catch run off when watering.

Indoors they were great, over-watering is a #1 killer of overwinters, and those help prevent it.

Outdoors, mid july through end of growing season, here in IL, they were a pain in the rear; dried out too fast.

Cheap and convenient, and lightweight, easy to move around to mow, take up less space in the off season, etc. They have their upsides.

If I did it again outdoors I'd probably wrap them with plastic; leave the bottoms open, but wrap the sides.

TrentL said:

Only downside is they dry out fast. I had to water mine daily, which was a chore, with 60 of the things
interestingly enough I find the exact opposite to be true in my climate, my plastic pots require more water. This is maybe due to the high humidity in South Florida the fabric must capture and hold on the the moisture in the air. Not sure but it sounds good lol

Crispee-FL said:
interestingly enough I find the exact opposite to be true in my climate, my plastic pots require more water. This is maybe due to the high humidity in South Florida the fabric must capture and hold on the the moisture in the air. Not sure but it sounds good lol

Yeah your climate in S. Florida is about as alien to me as the moon would be.

It's snowing and 12F here with a low of 4F.

Our summers get DRY. Very hot and very, very dry. 

I've been to S. Florida in the summer and that humidity you have is intense. A man can't breathe properly in that soup.

This guy has a bunch of videos with different watering ideas for fabric pots. Checkout his other videos too. https://www.youtube.com/user/larrylhall/videos
One of the guys here uses these and i got a LOT of weed barrier fabric. Those laundry baskets are also cheap at Dollar Tree and the base is solid so it retains some water. Maybe an inch or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FrDkaZH7m0

Fabric all day long lol. I was a big fan of quality injection molded pots before I tried felt. 3 bucks for a 20 gallon allowed me to grow a lot more peppers too. Soil become my biggest cost.

Back