• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chilidude season 2018

Last year was pretty much a disaster, the summer turned out to be a very cold and sunless thing, so i didnt get much of anything to eat and all my efforts did go to waste.

But i am willing to try again growing those chilis, so i am not giving up so easy.

I got two last year fully grown Hot paper lanterns, so they should produce some even if the summer is not so perfect, also will grow these from seeds:

Naga morich.
Bonda ma jacques.
Petenero.
Aji golden.
Aji erotica.(baccatum erotica)
Lemon drop.
Aji crystal.
Aji pineapple.
Queen laurie.
Locato.

This time around pretty safe chilis to survive cooler climates in my opinion, inside my greenhouse.

Dewd, from a fellow tundra dweller, good luck to you, wishing you a nine month growing season and at least one bushel of pods you have to give away 'cause you can't eat 'em all!!

BlackFatalii said:
Best of luck this season! You might consider growing some Pubescens varieties, like Rocotos and Manzanos. They are supposed be a good choice for cooler climates.

Hey come on dude dont give me any more ideas..Nah maybe one more chili will not hurt and it is called Locato. :confused:

My seed collection contains a lot of different chilis but at this rate, i will soon have to give some plants to my friends etc. like usual.

Genetikx said:
I like your spirit, Chilidude... Good luck and good vibes to you this year. I'm certain you can work with your climate, or outsmart it if you need to

Always had that problem to not give up too easy and in Finland it is called Sisu, so if going gets tough i just add more Sisu until the problem is resolved or deal with it and move on to try another time.

Last year was pretty much the worst summer i have ever seen in my lifetime of nearly 36 years, so pretty much the summer cant get any worse than that or if it does, then there is no sun at all and all it does is rain all day long.

I can of course put few heaters inside the greenhouse in the early summer to keep the greenhouse more warmer in the night, so the chilis dont get too angry of the sudden lower night temperatures.

Here is todays picture of my two overwintered hot paper lanterns:
IMG_20180119_0821171.jpg

These bad boys will surely bring me a lot of harvest this season, even if the summer is not so good and i think the key for such an good overwintering is those airpots and that amazing coco coir, that wont let me overwater/over fertilize them that easy.

About two years ago i had an overwintered Naga morich plant and in the end of the season that chili produced so much harvest, that i still have plenty of frozen naga morich pods to make food and hot sauces.

Devv said:
Good luck this season!

Your climate is certainly a challenge; I wish I could send you some of my summer, and you some of yours (just a bit) ;)

You can have 50% of our annual rain and i can give most of our cloudy weathers too during the summer time. ;)

A little update with the two overwintered hot paper lanterns. Yesterday i spotted something in one of the leaves and decided to take a closer look with a magnifying loop, sure enough some sneaky spidermite looking guys where munching on the leaves.  I thinked the spidermite things where just waiting in the coco or something to attack again once any green stuff started to grow back.

Full panic mode ensued and first thing the chilis did get is a oil/pyrethrin based stuff sprayed on top them, then i thinked it was not enough..Cut off all the stems with the new green stuff..No no that was not enough, as by the morning i decided it was time to get rid of the chilis once and for all to save the seedlings for possible future invasion. So i will start new again with fresh hot paper lanters from seeds, as i rather not deal with any spidermites now or never in the winter time.

I am still in the alert stage with the other plants for a week or two, as my Hoya carnosa did get the same oil stuff sprayed on top of it in the same evening. The cactus did get sprayed with the stuff many days ago and spidermites dont like to eat hard cactus flesh first or the Hoya plant, if there is some nice soft chili leaves instead to eat.

I keep my OW plants away from the babies; exactly for the reasons you mentioned. They have a different life for sure; if they make it OK then :shh:

Masher said:
Looking good, Nice and tidy grow list.

Good luck, will be following.  ;)

Yeah, already have too many seedlings for my tastes and almost all of the seeds just had to germinate to make me extra happy. :rolleyes: Oh well, maybe i can get rid of the extra seedlings in the spring as i really dont want to put them to waste.

One thing i am quite happy that i atleast have one Bonda ma jacques seedling, tried to germinate that one many times but it was unwilling to cooperate until now.

Back