• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Uknow 2018 - The Heat is On!

Hey all!

Just a quick sneak peak. I planned on dirt day being January 1st this year, but it ended up being today (yesterday), January 18th. Still about 2 weeks earlier than my first set last year. As long as I don't have any major setbacks like last season, I should crush it this year! *Knock on wood*

So I finally got the grow box/tent, lights and heat mat set up in my unfinished rec room downstairs of the new house. The room is about 6' x 9'. Had to cut about 4 inches off one side of my table, it's a tight fit, but I didn't want to go lengthwise, lol.

I planted 4 trays of Chinense only so far. Heat mat is set to 83f. I learned my lesson last year with planting Annuum's and baccatum's too early. Not doing that again! I'll wait at least another month before I start them.

I didn't put together my official grow list yet, but you can see most of the varieties in the pics. Mostly the same as last year, I didn't order any new seeds. I'm missing a few varieties though due to not getting any pods from a few that the deer mowed down last season. (I'm looking for Chocolate Bhut, JPGS and a couple others if anyone wants to trade some seeds)

Also, of the 22 plants I tried to overwinter, 10 survived the aphids and neglect from me. Only watered twice since October, oops, haha. 5 I think have some life left in them, and 7 were completely toast. I'll get a list of the survivors tomorrow when I do my grow list.

af837cbb5e881a41aeee48bc33e81720.jpg
48da77ce0d00b919cc96f00039220e23.jpg
5721cb4fea8e4fad7fce78c61c574e5a.jpg
ae7f4cd75c68bd88d328cabf894c0308.jpg
cfb6671adfe8e568b2b0ecd4b4c1202e.jpg
c37bfb78912dd5b35eba76b30b466a1d.jpg
9e12f5f99cc13c3e37173593ffa565e1.jpg
9312737a8edee75fb7218db0685328f0.jpg
9bb960e42b6ee759f45c23161980507b.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nice looking grow area, as are the ow's that survived. Good luck man

I do have jpgs and chocolate bhut if you want to trade...or I'll just send them, depending on what ya got! Hit me with a pm if you want.

Genetikx said:
Nice looking grow area, as are the ow's that survived. Good luck man

I do have jpgs and chocolate bhut if you want to trade...or I'll just send them, depending on what ya got! Hit me with a pm if you want.
Thanks man!

I'll PM you later today after work with what I have and we'll get something going. Most of my seeds we're open pollinated last year, just a heads up.

Also, RIP Mutant Hab plant, for those of you who remember it.  The aphids were so bad on it in the fall even after spraying it 3 times, that I didn't want to risk bringing it inside. I really should have done more to keep it going, but it is what it is. 

Good luck this season!

I love the grow setup you have ;)

This is my first year stripping down OW's; following the advice previously posted by others who have done well with over wintering. Normally it's so warm here I just cut them back some and bring them in (in the garage) when it gets too cold for an over night. I cut them down to 4-6"s pulled them out of the pots and clipped the root balls to match the top in size. I hosed all the old soil off the roots. Dipped them in a pretty strong solution of kitchen soap and water for around 30 seconds. Hosed them down really well and put them in #2 pots with new potting soil. Watered them and stuck them inside the house on a small table in the backroom (our dining room) in the Northeast corner. So far they are alive, and have no bugs....yet. I'm keeping them away from the seedlings for sure. I'll start putting them outside as it warms and stick them in the dirt April 1st.

Devv said:
Good luck this season!

I love the grow setup you have ;)

This is my first year stripping down OW's; following the advice previously posted by others who have done well with over wintering. Normally it's so warm here I just cut them back some and bring them in (in the garage) when it gets too cold for an over night. I cut them down to 4-6"s pulled them out of the pots and clipped the root balls to match the top in size. I hosed all the old soil off the roots. Dipped them in a pretty strong solution of kitchen soap and water for around 30 seconds. Hosed them down really well and put them in #2 pots with new potting soil. Watered them and stuck them inside the house on a small table in the backroom (our dining room) in the Northeast corner. So far they are alive, and have no bugs....yet. I'm keeping them away from the seedlings for sure. I'll start putting them outside as it warms and stick them in the dirt April 1st.
Thanks Scott! I've heard similar advice as well. I'll definitely go that route at the end of this season!

Looking great,nice little DIY set up. For me personally not a fan of mylar.

I prefer flat white as a reflector, less chance of hot spots overall, or the foil faced bubble wrap like that for wrapping hot water tanks.

Looks like you're killing it though, good luck and happy growing  :dance:

Masher said:
Looking great,nice little DIY set up. For me personally not a fan of mylar.

I prefer flat white as a reflector, less chance of hot spots overall, or the foil faced bubble wrap like that for wrapping hot water tanks.

Looks like you're killing it though, good luck and happy growing  :dance:
Thanks! And yeah, I don't care for the mylar either it tears too easily. I used double sided tape to stick it to the cardboard so at least it's solid. It was cheap and fast. Long term, I'd rather get some sort of reflective blanket(s) that I can stitch together to make a cover that just slides over the frame from the top down, like how a chair cover works. I'll have to look into the options you mentioned.

If you continue to use mylar...I buy the cheapo mylar wrapping "paper"? at the dollar store. The backing is the side you would want to use. A dollar a roll can't be beat ;)

So, here is my list of over winter survivors as well as current seeds planted, and seeds I want to buy or trade for, which some may be already taken care of.

2017 OVER WINTER SURVIVORS:

Yellow T. Scorp CARDI
T. Scorp Butch T.
Butch T. x Reaper
Butch T. x Reaper (July 2016)
Bubblegum 7 Pod
THSC Chocolate T. Scorp
Brainstrain 7 Pot
Purple Naga Viper
7 Pod Jonah Yellow
Carolina Reaper

POSSIBLE OW SURVIVORS:

Aji Pineapple
CP115
Carolina Reaper
Fildaga Preto
Trinidad Moruga Scorp

277 PLANTED 1/18/2018:
(I planted 2 seeds per cell for most of these since I had my own seeds this year so I wanted a better chance of filling every cell. Quantities are cells though, not total seeds, probably closer to 500 actual seeds planted)

TRAY 1:
24 - 7 Pod Brown
24 - THSC Chocolate T Scorp
12 - CP115
12 - Chocolate Primo Reaper

TRAY 2:
12 - Borg 9
12 - Butch T Reaper
24 - CPR "Red Grenade" pheno
23 - Carolina Reaper

TRAY 3:
24 - Butch T Scorp
24 - Brainstrain 7 Pot
12 - Purple Naga Viper
12 - Purple Naga Viper Chocolate

TRAY 4:
24 - Bhut Jolokia
24 - Yellow T Scorp CARDI
12 - 7 Pod Jonah Yellow
12 - Orange Fatali

NOT PLANTED YET:
Aji Pineapple
Blue Christmas
Fildaga Preto
Jalapeno

SEEDS WANTED:
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorp
Chocolate Bhut
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Chocolate Hab

SEEDS I HAVE FOR TRADE:

Aji Pineapple
T Scorp Butch T
Purple Naga Viper
Borg 9
BTR
7 Pod Brown
CP115
7 Pod Jonah Yellow
Mystery Seeds - from my 2017 season. Possibly BTR, Aji Pineapple, THSC Chocolate T Scorp, and a few others. 80% are likely BTR though as I had A LOT of those.

Stay warm! :Fire:

T.

Devv said:
Wow!

That's a lot of plants!
Haha, yeah it is! I say the same thing as everyone else every year... "next year I'm cutting back for sure..." but it never happens, lol.

I think what I may do this year though, is only keep about 6 varieties that I really like, but keep 10 of each plant, instead of keeping 30 varieties and 2 of each plant. I normally start about 6 trays (432 plants) every season, then pick my keepers, about 60 plants, and give the rest away. 4 trays of Chinense early then 2 more trays with Annuum's and whatever else, later.

This year, I'll be skipping the solo cup stage for my keepers though and going straight from cells to the 1 gallon nursery pots I got last year. I experimented last year and put some in cups and some in the 1 gallon pots. The ones in the one gallon pots grew significantly larger and faster than the ones in Solo cups. After seeing the difference last year, I'd go straight to 2 or 3 gallon pots if I had the room, until they went outside into my 5 gallon+ containers.

U)<now said:
Haha, yeah it is! I say the same thing as everyone else every year... "next year I'm cutting back for sure..." but it never happens, lol.

I think what I may do this year though, is only keep about 6 varieties that I really like, but keep 10 of each plant, instead of keeping 30 varieties and 2 of each plant. I normally start about 6 trays (432 plants) every season, then pick my keepers, about 60 plants, and give the rest away. 4 trays of Chinense early then 2 more trays with Annuum's and whatever else, later.

This year, I'll be skipping the solo cup stage for my keepers though and going straight from cells to the 1 gallon nursery pots I got last year. I experimented last year and put some in cups and some in the 1 gallon pots. The ones in the one gallon pots grew significantly larger and faster the ones in Solo cups. After seeing the difference last year, I'd go straight to 2 or 3 gallon pots if I had the room, until they went outside into my 5 gallon+ containers.

I no longer use the solo cups. I just start them in 3.5" pots and they get moved to the #1 pots pretty quick. For the same reason.

And yeah, I started way too many again...I have 30+ in #1 pots already and 36+ still in 3.5's (Annuum's) and then there's the 36 tomatoes. I don't have enough #1 pots for all of them; but I do have 26 open #2 pots. I guess the Chinense in the #1's will go to #2's pretty soon ;)

Devv said:

I no longer use the solo cups. I just start them in 3.5" pots and they get moved to the #1 pots pretty quick. For the same reason.

And yeah, I started way too many again...I have 30+ in #1 pots already and 36+ still in 3.5's (Annuum's) and then there's the 36 tomatoes. I don't have enough #1 pots for all of them; but I do have 26 open #2 pots. I guess the Chinense in the #1's will go to #2's pretty soon ;)

I have 100 of the 1 gal pots, so I should have plenty, I can only fit I think 56 in my tent anyway. I have about 20 of my 3 gal pots (2.2 actual gal) open also, so I should be good for now. I may order another 30 or so of the 3 gal ones though.

Also, I found this stuff on Amazon. People seem to love it. Reviews say it's comparable to a vinyl shower curtain in thickness and pretty tough. It also doesn't let any light through. Only question is some reviews say the backside is white, and others say it's black. Comes in rolls that are 4ft wide and lengths of 10ft to 100ft. I think I might order 50ft and make a nice cover out of it for my frame. It's not insulated, but my grow room stays about 68f and with the lights on in the tent, I know it'll still get into the 80s in there if I let it.

VIVOSUN 6 Mil Mylar Film Roll 4 FT X 50 FT Diamond Film Foil Roll Highly Reflective Grow Room (50 FT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7P96NN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_VovzAbEGTVQTR

juanitos said:
looks black in this pic 

Yeah it does. I wonder if it was a running change they made from white to black. I would prefer the black anyways.   I also just found this stuff, which is nylon backed. Cost's a bit more, but its also 5ft wide vs only 4ft wide and probably worth it for the extra durability of they nylon backing also. 

I'm driving to Chicago at 5am for 3 days for work. We're in the middle of a good snow storm right now, getting 5 to 8 inches between today and tonight. It's supposed to be over at 6am though. Maybe if I'm real lucky, I'll come home to some hooks this weekend! I usually see the first ones in 6 or 7 days so it'll be right about that time when I get back.

I also had 3 Moruga seeds from a half mushy, half dried pod I forgot about in cup. They didn't look great, but I threw them in a wet paper towel and zip lock bag, and tossed them on the heat mat yesterday. Probably 5% chance of one sprouting. We'll see what happens.

Back