• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Australian finger lime plant?

Edmick

Staff Member
Extreme Member
Is anyone growing these? I'm having issues uploading a picture but they're really interesting. As the name implies, finger shaped fruit with caviar like balls on the inside that taste like lime. Apparently getting popular in the culinary world. I was surprised to see them today at home depot so I purchased one and wondering if theres anything special I should know about growing this plant? I've read they do really well in large pots so I put it in the biggest one I had. The fruits apparently command a pretty high price if you can even find it. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I planted one in my yard over a year ago. No fruit yet, still really small. I'm just really hoping this crazy freeze we had down here didn't hurt it too bad.

Sorry, wish I had more to say...just really looking forward to tasting one of these things.

Jubnat said:
I planted one in my yard over a year ago. No fruit yet, still really small. I'm just really hoping this crazy freeze we had down here didn't hurt it too bad.

Sorry, wish I had more to say...just really looking forward to tasting one of these things.
The one I bought looks about 2 or 3 years old so hopefully It will produce this year.

Muckyai said:
Those are really neat. I had some seeds but wasn't able to get anything to germinate. Good luck with it!
Thanks. I'm gonna try to clone it eventually. Not sure if it will work but it's worth a shot.

Would love to grow them but with the temps here I dought they would grow. Have a lemon plant thats 5' in a pot and it has not produced or had flowers.

EuQmtYu.png

dragonsfire said:
Would love to grow them but with the temps here I dought they would grow. Have a lemon plant thats 5' in a pot and it has not produced or had flowers.

EuQmtYu.png
i live in the uk & i’m growing them, i’m guessing they will have to be covered well in winter but at the moment there in my grow tent.

The one I bought is sold as a dwarf so I'm pretty sure its grafted. All the reading I've done so far says that if its grafted to make it a dwarf variety then it will likely produce in the first year.

snagglepuss said:
nice plant, mine are only about 6 inch tall if that. can they tolerate any cold weather?
I copied this from an article on growing them.
Climate
Finger limes grow naturally in warm, sub-tropical regions and thrive with summer-autumn dominant rainfall. Trees can tolerate dry conditions and cold weather, but do best in their natural growing regions. Mature finger limes can tolerate light frost but young plants will require protection. Finger limes can tolerate full sunlight and shaded conditions. Care should be taken to protect trees from hot or cold winds because this is the primary cause of fruit damage.

Edmick said:
I copied this from an article on growing them.
Climate

Finger limes grow naturally in warm, sub-tropical regions and thrive with summer-autumn dominant rainfall. Trees can tolerate dry conditions and cold weather, but do best in their natural growing regions. Mature finger limes can tolerate light frost but young plants will require protection. Finger limes can tolerate full sunlight and shaded conditions. Care should be taken to protect trees from hot or cold winds because this is the primary cause of fruit damage.
thanks for that, i’m in the uk so guessing i’m best covering them in winter months to protect them.

snagglepuss said:
thanks for that, i’m in the uk so guessing i’m best covering them in winter months to protect them.
That's probably best. Or move them inside by a window or something. I'm in Southern California so our weather is pretty tame. We didn't even come close to a frost this winter.

Back