• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Tri Tip on the Kettle

Sizzle Lips

Extreme Member
Fired up the Weber Kettle on Sunday a did a quick Tri-Tip.
Brushed it with evoo and rubbed with Beef Brigade rub.
Grilled it direct turning a couple of times till the Internal temp was around 130.
Let rest on the counter tented in foil 10 minutes,sliced and served with bite sized perogies and slaw.

tri1.jpeg

tri2.jpeg

tri3.jpeg

tri4.jpeg

tri5.jpeg

tri6.jpeg

Perfect doneness, decent crust, against the grain cuts.. Nicely done!

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

I too have never cooked a tri-tip.  I hear that it is the big hitter on the bbq circuit, but I don't see them in my local butcher shop.  To those that have cooked them, I have seen both searing, and low and slow.  What gets the better results?

JayT said:
I too have never cooked a tri-tip.  I hear that it is the big hitter on the bbq circuit, but I don't see them in my local butcher shop.  To those that have cooked them, I have seen both searing, and low and slow.  What gets the better results?
When I buy them, I make sure they are UNTRIMMED. I like the fat pad on one side. I sear and cook just like a steak til I get the sear that I want then I top rack it with fat side up til it reaches medium rare. By the time it rests, It will reach a medium doneness.

JayT said:

Smoked but only to medium rare like a steak not a brisket.

Like this http://jesspryles.com/recipe/smoked-tri-tip-steak/

Well, since I have never seen a tri tip here and I have been wanting to try Snake River's meats for a while, I guess it is time to place an order.  I might as well go for the gusto my first time right?

Back