• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

manipulating chili types for when they get hot. .

You know how some sauces would be described as "creeping"?  I just made one with about 8 peach ghosts into a half gallon of mash.  It was fermented for a month.  I cooked it post ferment.  It doesn't reach peak hotness in your mouth until about a minute later.  I'm curious if through your experience you know what chilies would deliver "up front" heat versus "creepers".  Or maybe it's a cooking method that would alter this . . fermented sauces more creeper, fresh/cooked sauces more up front?  

It seems to me the Bhuts creep more like you say, compared to scotch bonnets and others IMO.  I am not sure if it is just me, but the scotch bonnets, and some other red chili's and habaneros I have used seem to get to it quicker.  Or else I have just fried myself beyond the point of no return....

You know what else is a creeper? Italian Long Hots. Although not a super hot, and low on the Scoville scale, and not found in many typical hot sauce recipes, I use them in one of my pepper sauces and the sauce is a fan favorite. A creeping heat after about 5 seconds. At vendor shows, it's fun when people say, this tastes very good but it's not hot, them 3-5 seconds later, their face turns and they say oooo yeah, ok, that's a respectable heat.

Conversely I've found the Ghost to be a tolerable immediate heat that just intensifies. Scorpions the same.

Hafners said:
The Thai hybrids I'm growing indoors have an instant heat, and quite a bit of it, almost half the heat of a habanero.

Thanks yeah I think I'm going to add an amount of Thais to my next sauce to see if I can bring it earlier

Back