• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Szchechuan peppercorns

Just curious how many folks here have tried or cook with Szchechuan peppercorns and their thoughts regarding them. Never tried them myself.. for a while they were not allowed to be imported into America and I have yet to see them at the local grocer.

Image from GIS

Attachments

• GettyImages-157476187-581205193df78c2c731f0554.jpg
    GettyImages-157476187-581205193df78c2c731f0554.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 84
I marinate meat all the time with them. They give a great floral flavor to poultry especially duck. Sichuan peppercorns and fresh ginger are an excellent combo.

Check an Asian supermarket if you have one anywhere near you. Otherwise an online retailer is a good bet.

I've used them in cooking. I believe the idea behind them is to accent the other flavors in the dish. I don't use them often but I have eaten them straight and it made my tongue and lower lip go numb.

Years ago we threw a Game of Thrones themed dinner party and I made a cocktail called Shade of The Evening with Alize, vodka, fruit juices, and an extract of Szchuchaun peppercorns made in 100% ethanol. The numbing/tingling sensation threw everyone for a loop which was exactly the point. 

I have no clue how to use these in "normal" cooking.

I like adding these to different dishes.  I'm careful with salt when using Szechuan peppercorn because, to me it makes the salt taste really salty.  I believe they are actually a type of citrus and importing them is regulated due to risk of contaminating citrus crops with disease.  They need to be heat treated prior to import to kill any organisms.  Some say the heat treating diminishes the tingly numbing effect. 

Back