• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Ethansm - 2018 Glog

Hello all!

I'm a long time forum lurker, first time poster! 
I started growing peppers last year in a small 4' x 6' raised box, and cheap store bought seeds. Grew cayenne, orange habs, jalapenos, and serrano last year, and really enjoyed it! Smoked the peppers on the smoker for 12 hours on nothing but hickory logs and made powder, and I put that on everything now. 

Anyway, this year:
I'm graduating from the raised box! I've bought a house with a back yard and I have about 1000-1500sq ft that I can plant in. 

The list ascending in spicy, all from Pepper Joe's website:
Pepperoncini
Ancho/Poblano
Pepper Joe's Giant jalapenos
Pepper Joe's serrano
Charleston
Paper lantern
Golden Habanero
Jamaican pepper
Giant Ghost
Morguana Trinidad Scorpion

A few notes / questions:
My spicy tolerance is still pretty nooby, habs are about as spicy as I can go and they're still incredibly painful. I originally only bought giant ghost peppers, but one of my free random packs was the scorpion. Although I am still fairly apprehensive to grow the super hots, I'm going for it anyway!

I started germinating last year the second week of February and had a hard time keeping the plants in sizable containers before putting them in the ground, I'm thinking of starting the first week of March this year. I know the super hots can take a long time to germinate, should I go ahead and start those now? For context I'm in central Missouri.

I've also heard of people around here using pellitized gypsum in their grows to help break up the clay in the soil around here, and the sulfur content of the gypsum helps the peppers, has anyone had experience with this?

I know I have more questions but can't think of any right now. Anyway wanted to get this started so I have somewhere to document.

Welcome to THP.  You will absolutely love interacting here.  I have learned so much from other members.

It is refreshing to read someone concerned about their soil.  So many folk rely on container grows with potting soil.  When it comes to mending soil, I think you should give a google to the term 'composting in place'.  Even something as simple as grass clippings and yard waste can make a huge difference.

Here in KY we have two types of land.  One is an inch of top soil and then rock.  The other is an inch of top soil and then clay.  I wanted the rock but got the clay.  Its ten years later and I can still tell a difference between where i started amending the soil ten years ago and where I started more recently.  About to till up a new section.  Likely going to resort to buying mulch from the tree cutting places.

Welcome! When to start all depends on your location and weather.

I'm way up North and only have about a 150 day season, so I start my superhots in early January, otherwise I'll get frost before I get more than a handful of ripe pods.

The faster growing varieties like jalapenos and other Annuum's and some Baccatum's, I'll start in mid February to early March, since they grow so much faster and taller than the Chinense when starting.

As for the soil, I'm not well versed enough to give you any tips on that, my soil is super sandy. My plants in pots were easily 3x larger than the ones I had in the ground last year, so I'll be sticking with mostly pots this season.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

AJ Drew:
I've read a bit about composting in place, and have to say I'm pretty interested. I'll read some more and maybe give it a go, I'll have access to plenty of leaves, pine needles, and grass clippings. Yeah in Missouri we have a lot of clay, it looks like where I'll be planting isn't too bad though. It's so over grown right now it's somewhat hard to tell.

U)<now:
Yeah that makes sense, I did a little more reading over the weekend. I think I'll start my super hots / habs in a couple weeks, and the less hot peppers in 3-4 weeks.

I've got to ask, what do you guys do with your super hots? Make sauces / powders?

I've also added a picture of the current garden area of the back yard, I've got a long road ahead of me :lol:. I had somehow forgotten just how grown up it was, we just closed on this house last Thursday though.

Attachments

• backyard.PNG
    backyard.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
I have officially planted my seeds! Planted them 2 seeds to a starter, in 1/3 perlite 2/3 Coco coir.
I added a few more plants to my list and the official list and count is:
6x pepper Joe's Serrano
6x Charleston
6x ancho
3x giant jalapeno
3x Farmers market jalapeno
2x golden habanero
2x bulsa de dulce
2x giant ghost
2x aji charapita
2x pepperoncini
2x pepperdew
1x chocolate hand grenade
1x Albanian red hot
1x purple cream tiger
1x Jamaican
1x padron
1x Bahamian goat
1x orange starfish
1x bishops crown
1x coyote Zan white
1x Tobago treasure
1x moruga Trinidad scorpion
1x Chinese lantern

48 total if they all geminate. I've probably gone overboard. Started cleaning out the future garden spot, this will certainly light a fire under me to get it done.

Attachments

• IMG_20180224_181916.jpg
    IMG_20180224_181916.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 66
Yeah I read that in addition to helping breakup clay soils it also contains calcium and sulfur. I figured if people put matches into pepper pots for sulfur content this can't hurt

Day 1, checked on the temp of the seeds and realized all the ink on the labels washed off from the humidity. Whoops. Relabled them with a sharpie. Lesson learned lol

Just catching up on this thread now. Welcome to the forum! You'll love it here

Congrats on the new house too! That's a great feeling

Don't worry about having a low heat tolerance, just getting into this hobby. Your tolerance will go up eventually, lol. It's not a bad thing if it doesn't though, either. There's still plenty of things you can do with superhots without melting your face off, haha. Drop one or two into a gallon of sauce, use one in a batch of spicy jelly, you can use them sparingly in smoked powder blends. They've got a million uses. Doesn't necessarily mean you have to use a million of them in a single dish/sauce ;)

Anyway, welcome, and poke around to all the different nooks and crannies here. You'll find more than enough ways to use those pods up! Best of luck with your Grow this year!
:cheers:

Update:
Most everything has sprouted and began developing true leaves. The pepper Joe's Serrano were all duds, none of them popped, and most looked like they molded. The poblano surprisingly were the slowest to geminate.

I was a little late getting my light hooked up so a few seedlings got pretty leggy, then I burned a couple by having the light too close. It's all dialed in now though! Planted some Serrano from the store last night so we'll see how they do. Also got my tomatoes planted last night. Tomatoes are:
White bianca
Black krim
Chico 3

Wow I've been slacking on the updates. Okay most of the peppers are good, fought some sun burn, edema, and calcium deficiency but identified them pretty quickly and the plants are on the road to recovery. The tomatoes on the other hand are all but dead. I think I've been over watering, they've wilted pretty bad and have lost most of their leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_20180423_214114.jpg
    IMG_20180423_214114.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20180423_214121.jpg
    IMG_20180423_214121.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20180423_214124.jpg
    IMG_20180423_214124.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20180423_214128.jpg
    IMG_20180423_214128.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 62
I wanted to say also that I was very disappointed in the pepper Joe seeds. I don't know if this is the appropriate place to say it, but none of the Serrano seeds germinated, of the ancho seeds a few germinated after 4-6 weeks, and are still only about 1 inch tall with bb sized true leaves after 2 months. The ghosts did fine, the Charleston were 50/50, jalapenos were pretty good and the golden Habs did well. In comparison all the seeds from Texas hot peppers were spot on 100% gemination.

I've been working on the garden spot and probably have enough cleared out for these plants but want to continue cheating it out as much as I can before these go in the ground in 2-3 weeks.

Ethansm said:
I wanted to say also that I was very disappointed in the pepper Joe seeds. I don't know if this is the appropriate place to say it, but none of the Serrano seeds germinated, of the ancho seeds a few germinated after 4-6 weeks, and are still only about 1 inch tall with bb sized true leaves after 2 months. The ghosts did fine, the Charleston were 50/50, jalapenos were pretty good and the golden Habs did well. In comparison all the seeds from Texas hot peppers were spot on 100% gemination.

I've been working on the garden spot and probably have enough cleared out for these plants but want to continue cheating it out as much as I can before these go in the ground in 2-3 weeks.

It's your glog, complain away!

I purchased seeds from a couple of forum vendors and had 8 entire TRAYS not sprout this year, and several others only get 2 or 3 out of 72. I did plenty of complaining too. :)

I had problems with Pepper Joe in the past, last used them in 2013.

Ethansm said:
Wow I've been slacking on the updates. Okay most of the peppers are good, fought some sun burn, edema, and calcium deficiency but identified them pretty quickly and the plants are on the road to recovery. The tomatoes on the other hand are all but dead. I think I've been over watering, they've wilted pretty bad and have lost most of their leaves.

What soil are you using? Just coir and perlite? If so you'll need to hit them with some liquid fertilizer sooner than later. 

This is my "passive hydro" table, all it is is coir and perlite, and all I've fed them is General Hydroponics A + B. I started out 3ml / gal when they were little (1 teaspoon / gallon) and they have no progressed to 30 ml / 4.5 gallons (a little over 6ml / gal).

cY8vw2m.jpg

55fFx1X.jpg

Links to the food source;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YBI142K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YBH3FVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TrentL said:

It's your glog, complain away!

I purchased seeds from a couple of forum vendors and had 8 entire TRAYS not sprout this year, and several others only get 2 or 3 out of 72. I did plenty of complaining too. :)

I had problems with Pepper Joe in the past, last used them in 2013.
Oh man that's rough, yeah I would be complaining a lot more if I were in your shoes haha.

TrentL said:

What soil are you using? Just coir and perlite? If so you'll need to hit them with some liquid fertilizer sooner than later. 

This is my "passive hydro" table, all it is is coir and perlite, and all I've fed them is General Hydroponics A + B. I started out 3ml / gal when they were little (1 teaspoon / gallon) and they have no progressed to 30 ml / 4.5 gallons (a little over 6ml / gal).

cY8vw2m.jpg

55fFx1X.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YBI142K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YBH3FVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Should've included that, I only germinated them in coir and perlite. When I potted up I moved to miracle grow potting soil. I've also dosed them twice with miracle grow general plant food, then calmag and Epsom salt. I think this is the last year I use MG potting soil on young plants, it seems to hold water in way too much for the young plants. They've been potted up for a month and I've watered twice and had edema. Going to swap ferts out next year too, thanks for the suggestion I'll look into those.

TrentL said:

cY8vw2m.jpg

55fFx1X.jpg

Is that 3ml of each a and b to start? When I looked at the Amazon link it was a different brand than GH, growth science blend I believe?

Regards,
-Tristan

Took an inventory last night of what I had, these were the results:
6 x Serrano
4 x giant jalapeno
1 x fm jalapeno
4x ancho
5 x Charleston
2 x golden hab
2x aji charapita
2x giant ghost
2x pepperoni
2x pepperdew
1x paper lantern
1x purple cream tiger
1x chocolate hand grenade long
1x Bahamian goat
1x bishops crown
1x coyote Zan white
1x moruga Trinidad scorpion
1x padron
1x Albanian red hot
1x Tobago treasure
1x bulsa de dulce

Lost a few due to frying them with my light, or no gemination. While I have 4 ancho plants I suspect only one or two will do anything. Still pretty happy with my list.

Back