•  

The 11th Annual Hot Pepper Awards - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Photo

Ethansm - 2018 Glog

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Ethansm

Ethansm

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:04 PM

Been working on the yard in preparation for planting. I've got about 30 more trees to pull, then going to amend the soil with 2 cubic yards of compost, 80lbs of pelletized gypsum, and 4 cubic feet of perlite. With any luck I'll be planting outside next Saturday.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#22 Ethansm

Ethansm

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:02 PM

Peppers have been hardening off the last couple days, and picked up compost today. Turns out the city I live in has a program that accepts food scraps from the restaurants and mixes it with wood chips made from yard waste drop off sites around town. Pretty neat, and it's $20 for a cubic yard, and either I've been getting ripped off on cubic yards of mulch, or this is the biggest damn cubic yard I've ever seen.

On another note my back yard is infested with poison ivy, one of the vines is 2" thick and about 25 feet tall in a tree. The vine on the right of the tree in the picture is the poison ivy. I'm not allergic, but my fiance already has it all over her arms. I don't want to spray, but she wants me to. We'll see what happens. Probably need to take care of that before I put peppers in the ground.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180503_143146.jpg
  • IMG_20180503_180819.jpg

Edited by Ethansm, 03 May 2018 - 11:07 PM.

#23 karoo

karoo

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:35 AM

One lucky pepper grower, that is good looking compost.
My experience is just to do as much of the preparation as possible before you put those plants in the ground.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

" I wish I was as young as the first time I said, " I'm getting to old for this sh!t." "

#24 Ethansm

Ethansm

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

Lesson learned, never buy a house in the winter. All of this is poison ivy, and there's more to go. I'll be delayed at least another week getting the peppers in the ground as I found poison ivy in a 15ft x 20ft area next to the garden plot.

I've got all the compost, perlite, and gypsum mixed into the garden. I'm ready to get the peppers in, and they're ready to go in, but if I'm going to be spraying the ivy I don't want to risk killing the peppers.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180513_090659.jpg

#25 Ethansm

Ethansm

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:17 PM

Got the peppers planted about a week ago, checked on them today and they've got flea beetles real bad. Tried spraying with a mixture of rubbing alcohol, water, and dish soap. We'll see if it does the trick.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180515_192320.jpg

#26 Ethansm

Ethansm

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

Peppers are growing, there are a few flower buds that have formed so shouldn't be too long now. Surprisingly the rubbing alcohol/water/soap mixture worked pretty well on the flea beetles. The plants had some leaves yellow, now sure is it's from the beetles or the treatment though. I am facing another issue now, something keeps digging up the base of the plants, nothing too severe but they've gotten to the root ball on a couple of them. I think it might be squirrels? Has anyone had this happen to them?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180606_074113.jpg
  • IMG_20180606_073949.jpg

#27 Genetikx

Genetikx

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:33 PM

Hey Ethan, that was a heck of a score on the compost. Good luck on finding out what kind of critter is digging at your roots.

Nice selection of peppers you got there too

#28 Ethansm

Ethansm

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

Hey Ethan, that was a heck of a score on the compost. Good luck on finding out what kind of critter is digging at your roots.

Nice selection of peppers you got there too

Thanks! I was super happy to hear about the city's compost program. It's a lot cheaper than anywhere else in town, between half and 1/4 the price, and it's not the best compost ever but for the price it can't be beat.

#29 Ethansm

Ethansm

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:07 PM

It's squirrels, I caught them in the act. Also had a rabbit eat all the leaves off one of the plants.

Put chicken wire around the garden, hopefully this helps. Plants seem super slow to grow, they're 3 1/2 months old and most are less than a foot tall. My fertilizing routine hasn't been great but there's 10 wheel barrels of compost in the garden. I'm starting to wonder if it's PH related. My tomatoes on the other hand have been growing like crazy.

#30 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,861 posts
  • aka:Bhuthead Andy

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:07 AM

Maybe try feeding them. Is all the wood chip from the compost? The raised bed I put city compost in isn't doing as good as I would like. Next year it will probably do better when the rest of the wood is broken down. Ive read that wood robs nitrogen from the soil

#31 Ethansm

Ethansm

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:25 PM

Yeah all the wood chips are from the compost, now that you mention them stealing nitrogen I think I've heard that. Fed the plants a couple days ago and they've started to look better. Gave them a lot of blood meal today to help nitrogen, fertilized, and did a foliar spray of calmag+Epsom salt. Hopefully that helps out. I heard blood meal will deter animals too, hopefully that's the case because the squirrels don't care about my chicken wire at all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests