• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best heating methods for closet growing?

Im currently in houston right now and I am trying to get a head start on my plants. First time starting seeds in cups and my plants are about 2-3 high. In the beginning I noticed they were growing a little leggy. So now I have setup a 48 t8 light setup in my closet. In the morning my closets reading out like 65 degrees. So Im trying to see whats a good way to throw some heat in the closet. For the mean time I am using a hairdryer to warm it up to around 78-80ish. Open to suggestions and sorry if this has been covered already. I have did some digging around and it seems like many people use CFL lights that put off some heat.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Lasko makes a little 200watt ceramic heater. Well under $20 at places like HomeDepot.

Major Pain said:
I have heat mats under my plants for heat.

Both of these are good options.  Without knowing how large your closet is, I'm leaning toward a small space heater.  You might want to add a temperature controller and a fan.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Max-1200W-Temperature-Controller-Greenhouse/dp/B01HXM5UAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517397399&sr=8-1&keywords=temp+controller+plants+heat+and+cool

Since it is a problem when lights are on, in this case I'd prefer to put money towards more lighting instead of purchasing and running a space heater. The extra lights will generate the extra heat needed plus allow me to grow more/better plants.

Space heater is great if your night time is too cold.

Should have a fan to circulate air in both cases. 

Typically dark hrs are cooler outside.

64-68 is perfectly fine during dark hrs.

Your light adds the small amount of heat needed while it's on.

72-75 will do just fine until plant out.

Maybe one of those heat lamp lights would work. The ones they use for reptiles or whatever

Masher said:
Typically dark hrs are cooler outside.

64-68 is perfectly fine during dark hrs.

Your light adds the small amount of heat needed while it's on.

72-75 will do just fine until plant out.

If I wanted to germinate new seeds is 65 too cold?

I tried a ceramic heat emitter in my grow tent, didn't quite cut it as its radiant infrared heat. The 250 watt Honeywell heat bud's. Work my h better, I'm running 2 of them since ambient temps often drop below 60f. If you go with the mini ceramic heaters you'll need a he a controller like the one previously posted. Or you can get a heat mat/controller combo to start seeds with, and use the same controller when your ready to use the heater.

Hafners said:
I tried a ceramic heat emitter in my grow tent, didn't quite cut it as its radiant infrared heat. The 250 watt Honeywell heat bud's. Work my h better, I'm running 2 of them since ambient temps often drop below 60f. If you go with the mini ceramic heaters you'll need a he a controller like the one previously posted. Or you can get a heat mat/controller combo to start seeds with, and use the same controller when your ready to use the heater.

Yeah, I am now debating if I should just wait it out since my last frost is like mid to late Feb. Don't know how much of a head start ill get at this point. But, as stated I just don't want some other plants I started to die off right before Spring. And, yeah after so more reading I see that those Honeywell bulbs work better!

Back