• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji Amarillo BIG vs small

Can anyone , with experience , shed any light on the Aji Amarillo .

From what I could gather from an extensive search is;
- Aji Amarillo , orange Baccatums from Peru , can vary in size and shape
- Larger pheno takes forever to grow and ripen and smaller one grows faster and quicker to harvest.

Anything else.??
Please feel free to add your experience here .

As you have noticed some of the members from the bottom half of the planet are having a growdown and some unfortunate members are growing the slower and bigger peppers.

There have always been a fierce rivalry in all sports and other competitions between Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans , so they might need some help. :party:

Oh yah, the bigguns take forever....

22228438_357728464676445_3270520754396437951_n.jpg

Actually, the only smaller ones I grew were potted, and I'm not sure it wasn't the 5 gallon pot what stunted them....And though the ripened sooner, it wasn't by much...

Malarky said:
5 gallon bucket for me
9tBJoTu.jpg
Nice pods! This is exactly what aji amarillo looks like. There isn't a smaller version of aji amarillo. There is a close cousin of aji amarillo called aji pacae, which is are absolutely giant pods, about twice the size of a standard aji amarillo.

Here is a pic of some aji pacae I grew last year, compared to aji amarillo pods, with a coin for scale.

Attachments

• 20171114_084346.jpg
    20171114_084346.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 86
Thegreenchilemonster said:
Nice pods! This is exactly what aji amarillo looks like. There isn't a smaller version of aji amarillo. There is a close cousin of aji amarillo called aji pacae, which is are absolutely giant pods, about twice the size of a standard aji amarillo.

Here is a pic of some aji pacae I grew last year, compared to aji amarillo pods, with a coin for scale.
I can see you had the ripening issues with Pacae also. Need a month longer than Amarillo it seems. One of if not the longest maturing time I have ever seen.

Pr0digal_son said:
I can see you had the ripening issues with Pacae also. Need a month longer than Amarillo it seems. One of if not the longest maturing time I have ever seen.
I have some rocotto's just now starting to show some red in them from last spring that were overwintered outside in the ground. So these rocotos are taking longer than my amarillo's.

Malarky said:
I'd say my amarillos were a large variety. I started them Jan 1 2017 and I don't think i picked my first one until Sept 12th.
they are worth it though

SavinaRed said:
Mine overwintered outside and are loaded with peppers waiting to ripen. They are the large ones.

juanitos said:
there is only one correct pheno...

aji amarillo is not supposed to be small

SavinaRed said:
I just checked the garden before leaving for work and I have 2 plants with them ripening now. Half are still green and half are almost all orange.  :)

Pr0digal_son said:
There is another pepper named Queen Laurie that is similar to the Amarillo but smaller. Amarillo should be 5-8" in proper conditions.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Yeah man. Aji pacae has like a 2 month ripening time, once fully developed on the plant. The pods have such a great flavor, though.

Thank you everybody for your responses 

So... what can it be. The vendor , in the US , not to be shamed , clearly shows very small pods 8-9 that fits into half a hand .  Named Aji Amarillo.
Now out of stock.

Baccatum for sure, orange , great taste and heat.
I did not own anything similar previously and ordered no similar pepper seeds.

The vendor does now offer Dedo De Moca Yellow.

IMG_20180119_135009.jpg

IMG_20180120_081850_1.jpg

Back