• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Guyanese peppers

So Im in Georgetown Guyana right now, got two days to kill before I head to to the jungle fishing. Last year I went on a bit of a peppe sauce hunt and definitely found gold. This year Id love to grab some seeds. Ive talked to acouple cooks and locals and have a list of three varieties that Im gonna hunt down. They are:

Wiri wiri: small spicey pepper With a pretty unique flavour
Tiger teeth: long almost cayanne looking sweet yellowish pepper
Long pepper: similar to the tiger teeth but longer, red and hot

Does anyone know of any other peppers that may be worth checking out?

Hi there...I have  a few Guyanese peppers ...I've been given about 3 versions of wiriwiri pepper but the one I am in search of
which I call the real wiriwiri  has yet to show up :pray: ...I believe those I have which were brought from Guyana  are probably
mariwiri  ?  but I do know what the real wiri is...it's a small pepper <1/4 inch round...there are yellow & orange also.
But everyone calls it wiriwiri ..the hunt continues...for now the name has stuck with what is being sold as ww.

It would be great if you can look around at the Markets ..Bourda or Stabrock (sp) for the real tiny round one..hard to find though.
It has a fantastic aroma....the interior of Guyana may be your best bet .
I would be happy to share some of the seeds of the guyanese peppers I have with you .
If you can do check out the Kaieteur Falls impressive...
330px-GuyanaKaieteurFalls2004.jpg

Kaieteur Falls is the world's largest single drop waterfall by the volume of water flowing over it. Located on the Potaro River in the Kaieteur National Park, it sits in a section of the Amazon rainforest included in the Potaro-Siparuni region of Guyana. It is 226 metres (741 ft) high when measured from its plunge over a sandstone and conglomerate cliff to the first break. It then flows over a series of steep cascades that, when included in the measurements, bring the total height to 251 metres (822 ft). While many falls have greater height, few have the combination of height and water volume, and Kaieteur is among the most powerful waterfalls in the world with an average flow rate of 663 cubic metres per second (23,400 cubic feet per second).[1]
Kaieteur Falls is about four times higher than Niagara Falls, on the border between Canada and the United States, and about twice the height of Victoria Falls, on the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe in Africa. It is a single drop waterfall.[2]
Went to K Falls a while back ...fantastic!
 The interior has lots of  the wild species  esp., near the Brazilian border...hope you find some.Enjoy & Be Extra Careful. ;)

I have all 3 of the WiriWiri and the yellow version.

I can tell you that Guyanese use WiriWiri and MariWiri interchangeably but in reality Mariwiri is a different pepper. Wiri Wiri is what Guyanese love and covet and put in all their dishes. How do I know well...

I'm Guyanese and my father worked for the Ministry of Ag in Guyana in crop sciences so he is the one who supplied me with the seed and also familiar with a lot of the hot peppers of the WI.

So just got back from the the interior, my trip started in letham then it took me to the village of Annai before heading up the rupununi river for around 9 hours where we made camp. I picked up some peppers in letham then I got one of the guides to give me some from his village.

The first type was the same from both the village and letham. Locals called it arawana egg pepper as it resembled the eggs from an arawana fish. It is a round yellow pepper around 10-15mm, about a 1/4 for yall Americans. They are very juicey, almost berry like. They have a very strong flavour and a medium heat to them that hits you right away as soon as you squish them. The heat does subside rather quickly though. The seeds are small and tan in colour.

The second pepper I was given to me by one of your guides from his village. The he called it tiger teeth but it was different from the tiger teeth in Georgetown. This pepper was about an inch to an inch and a half long, ruffled around the base. It had an interesting flavour and habish type burn to it. One was red and the other two I had were orange. Medium sized seeds.

The third pepper was a simple orange hab but with a really painful lip burn, much stronger than then the ones Ive had back home.

The last was a scorpion. To be honest I couldnt tell the difference between it and a reaper.

I wasnt able to find and Wiri Wiri unfortunately. Ill try and ask around the forum.

So just got back from the the interior, my trip started in letham then it took me to the village of Annai before heading up the rupununi river for around 9 hours where we made camp. I picked up some peppers in letham then I got one of the guides to give me some from his village.

The first type was the same from both the village and letham. Locals called it arawana egg pepper as it resembled the eggs from an arawana fish. It is a round yellow pepper around 10-15mm, about a 1/4 for yall Americans. They are very juicey, almost berry like. They have a very strong flavour and a medium heat to them that hits you right away as soon as you squish them. The heat does subside rather quickly though. The seeds are small and tan in colour.

The second pepper I was given to me by one of your guides from his village. The he called it tiger teeth but it was different from the tiger teeth in Georgetown. This pepper was about an inch to an inch and a half long, ruffled around the base. It had an interesting flavour and habish type burn to it. One was red and the other two I had were orange. Medium sized seeds.

The third pepper was a simple orange hab but with a really painful lip burn, much stronger than then the ones Ive had back home.

The last was a scorpion. To be honest I couldnt tell the difference between it and a reaper.

I wasnt able to find and Wiri Wiri unfortunately. Ill try and ask around the forum.

Nice to see Guyana mentioned here! My wife is Indo-Guyanese. We grew some wiriwiri and some kind of elongated habanero type (but hotter!!!) that she just called "big pepper" lol that they got from a local market in East Coast Demerara (spelling?) They did fine here in the Phoenix heat too, we were buried in pods lol.

Nice! Do you eat Guyanese pepperpot at X-mas time?

The Hot Pepper said:
Nice! Do you eat Guyanese pepperpot at X-mas time?

No, she comes from a strict Hindu family, so they don't consume beef or pork, which is usually in the pepperpot lol. Sounds like something definitely worth trying if you are a meat-eater though!

well all 4 varieties have popped and are doing well! i also ordered some aji charapita from atlantic pepper co, and some wiri wiri from reimers. The aji charapita seeds look very very similar to the arowana eggs but are alittle darker and have an orange tint to them. I do believe they may actually be the same or a very similar species but time will tell. Originally i thought the arowana eggs might be yellow wiri wiri but the seeds were nothing like the ones from reimers. I traded with willytoes for some of his wiri wiri so when they arrive it will be interesting to see if there are any differences or similarities.

Gilthefish said:
well all 4 varieties have popped and are doing well! i also ordered some aji charapita from atlantic pepper co, and some wiri wiri from reimers. The aji charapita seeds look very very similar to the arowana eggs but are alittle darker and have an orange tint to them. I do believe they may actually be the same or a very similar species but time will tell. Originally i thought the arowana eggs might be yellow wiri wiri but the seeds were nothing like the ones from reimers. I traded with willytoes for some of his wiri wiri so when they arrive it will be interesting to see if there are any differences or similarities.
Don't trust Reimers they are a joke especially feedback on their Wiri Wiri's 

Your seeds are on the way sorry bit late getting them out but threw in an extra got from Top Tropicals I don't trust what they said either said origin was Jamaica I just grow it out to preserve it but not nearly as many plants as the Guyanese ones.

Attachments

• unnamed (8).jpg
    unnamed (8).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 49
WillyToes said:
Don't trust Reimers they are a joke especially feedback on their Wiri Wiri's 

Your seeds are on the way sorry bit late getting them out but threw in an extra got from Top Tropicals I don't trust what they said either said origin was Jamaica I just grow it out to preserve it but not nearly as many plants as the Guyanese ones.

All good bro, I was a bit suspicious about Reimers. Cant wait to get the proper wiri wiri planted! I plan on doing a really cool wiri wiri based sauce with some scorpions and 7 pots for extra kick. I really think you'll like the arowana egg peppers

Back