•  

Photo

b3rnd 2018 - Giving this glog thing another try...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 b3rnd

b3rnd

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:38 PM

Hey there pepperfriends!

I've decided to try to keep a glog again. Last time didn't go so well because of moving mid-season. I'm a little bit behind on schedule because of some logistical problems concerning my growing gear. My warming mats, thermostat and humidity domes were supposed to come in a big package of stuff from Portugal, but it didn't. I started some seeds without it just to have something to do, haha. All my stuff finally arrived last week, so I'm already up and running by now. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise because I don't have enough space (that sounds familiar) for all my plants in the house.

I'm prepping my garden at the moment. When I moved in here the whole backyard was covered with clinker bricks, probably for more than 10 years at least. I took a whole bunch out and left a circle for a table and some chairs. The soil was basically barren after being compacted tightly all those years, so I straight away added some fall leaves to the mix. A week ago I could get a trailer full of cow manure (about 100 kg or 220 lbs) that I'm going to till in when the weather allows me to. It's freezing at night and raining during the day so I'm waiting for some better weather. I'm also planning on taking a trip to the forest to get me some hummus to add to it. I hope the combination of all that will kickstart the soil life again.

Currently, I have five domes with 15 pots each. I filled it 2/3 with some soil with vermiculite first, and then I added a layer of seed starting mix. My idea was that the seeds wouldn't germinate in the fertilized soil, but as they grow the roots will find it when they need it. I don't like to replant them too much so I'm experimenting a bit.

My grow list:

Aleppo

Chiltepin

Ethiopian Brown

Goat's Weed

Hairy Cherry

Jalapeno

Penis Pepper

Piment d'Espelette

Poblano

Rehza

Serrano

Thunder Mountain Longhorn

Arbibi Gusano

Bahamian Goat

Bhut Jolokia

CGN 21500

Cheiro Roxa

Fidalgo Roxa

Datil

Frontera Sweet

Habanero Cappuccino

Pimenta da Neyde

Aji Angelo

Aji Rainforest

Aji Ethiopian Fire

Aji Minas Gerais

Aji Omnicolor

Barra do Ribeiro

Dulce Sol

Earbob

Lemon Drop

Sugar Rush Peach

Trepadeira Werner

CAP 214

El Oro de Ecuador

Aji Oro Rocoto

Manzano Orange

Peru Bitdumi Rocoto

Pineapple Rocoto

Rocoto Guatamalan Orange

Rocoto Guatamalan Red

Duke Pequin

Ekirike

Brazilian Starfish x Lemon Drop F1

Pequin x Goat's Weed F2

Pimenta da Neyde x Bonda ma Jacques F6

Tepin x Lemon Drop

Fruxim

Cumari Pollux

C. Chacoense

I might have a problem. Do we have a Chilecoholic Anonymous group?

Anyway, let's see what this season brings us. I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot with this shitload of peppers. I'll post some pictures later. I hope. If I remember.

It's a little chilly.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Dinsdale

Dinsdale

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

Very cool list! Best of luck!

#3 Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 6,234 posts
  • aka:G.I.P.
  • (x5)

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

nice big list ya got there ;) 

hope you have a very productive year 

:cheers: 

:onfire:

#4 b3rnd

b3rnd

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:15 AM

Well, seems I have my first ever fungus gnat infection. I was wondering what these little flies were, and then I saw D3 mention fungus gnats in a different topic. Never had or heard of them before, looked them up and it's what I have. Going to try to let the soil dry out a bit, then drench it with some diluted hydrogen peroxide a few times. Hopefully that'll clear them out pretty fast. 

It's a little chilly.

#5 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

BT kills the larva, it's those mosquito disk things. Bacillus something...

#6 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,803 posts
  • aka:Scott

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:31 PM

+1 on #5. Good advise there!

BT comes in powder, liquid and the Mosquito dunks. It's a naturally organic, safe occurring bacteria that kills any worm type larva.

I'm ready to see cowpies float. Bring it on!

#7 b3rnd

b3rnd

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:20 AM

BT kills the larva, it's those mosquito disk things. Bacillus something...

+1 on #5. Good advise there!

BT comes in powder, liquid and the Mosquito dunks. It's a naturally organic, safe occurring bacteria that kills any worm type larva.

Thanks for the tip! But I think I need some kind of license to buy it here in the Netherlands. I can't find it anywhere. Any other options?

I have a lot of activity! Loads of varieties are popping up. The one I'm most excited and happy for is my first cross: Lemon Drop x Brazilian Starfish! 4/4 seeds germinated. I had 3 more seeds, but I planted those too early, before I had my warming mats. They never popped, but maybe they will still.

Unfortunately though, I have to put all my seedlings in the windowsill. Didn't find a place for my lighting yet.. At least it's a south-west facing window, so it's decent. I'll post some pictures soonish.

It's a little chilly.

#8 b3rnd

b3rnd

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:34 AM

Here are some pictures I took today. Phone quality, sorry about that.

Very excited about the hooks on my Cumari Pollux, Tepin x Lemon Drop, CAP 214 and Fruxim. Excited about all the hooks of course, but I've been wanting to grow these for some time!

Also one of the seedlings from my own cross has a tricoty. Haven't seen many of those.

13a13c56689de9bc5303dba6f8813456.jpgae69573d205437b9f435686c711cc2ff.jpg9164c7d78422da07d7ad0f634cfe8009.jpg7c4cfe094f42aee0a2708b0b0d01fb96.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn PRA-LX1 met Tapatalk

Edited by b3rnd, 15 February 2018 - 12:47 AM.

It's a little chilly.

#9 b3rnd

b3rnd

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 AM

Small update. Plants are growing, hooray! We've had a few sunny days, so they've been soaking in the rays on my windowsill. The windowsill is full now though, and I still have seeds germinating.

Also, I found the time to spread the cow manure over the garden. Looking pretty good, let's hope I can turn it into a beautiful garden.

It's a little chilly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests