• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

b3rnd 2018 - Giving this glog thing another try...

Hey there pepperfriends!

I've decided to try to keep a glog again. Last time didn't go so well because of moving mid-season. I'm a little bit behind on schedule because of some logistical problems concerning my growing gear. My warming mats, thermostat and humidity domes were supposed to come in a big package of stuff from Portugal, but it didn't. I started some seeds without it just to have something to do, haha. All my stuff finally arrived last week, so I'm already up and running by now. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise because I don't have enough space (that sounds familiar) for all my plants in the house.

I'm prepping my garden at the moment. When I moved in here the whole backyard was covered with clinker bricks, probably for more than 10 years at least. I took a whole bunch out and left a circle for a table and some chairs. The soil was basically barren after being compacted tightly all those years, so I straight away added some fall leaves to the mix. A week ago I could get a trailer full of cow manure (about 100 kg or 220 lbs) that I'm going to till in when the weather allows me to. It's freezing at night and raining during the day so I'm waiting for some better weather. I'm also planning on taking a trip to the forest to get me some hummus to add to it. I hope the combination of all that will kickstart the soil life again.

Currently, I have five domes with 15 pots each. I filled it 2/3 with some soil with vermiculite first, and then I added a layer of seed starting mix. My idea was that the seeds wouldn't germinate in the fertilized soil, but as they grow the roots will find it when they need it. I don't like to replant them too much so I'm experimenting a bit.

My grow list:

Aleppo
Chiltepin
Ethiopian Brown
Goat's Weed
Hairy Cherry
Jalapeno
Penis Pepper
Piment d'Espelette
Poblano
Rehza
Serrano
Thunder Mountain Longhorn

Arbibi Gusano
Bahamian Goat
Bhut Jolokia
CGN 21500
Cheiro Roxa
Fidalgo Roxa
Datil
Frontera Sweet
Habanero Cappuccino
Pimenta da Neyde

Aji Angelo
Aji Rainforest
Aji Ethiopian Fire
Aji Minas Gerais
Aji Omnicolor
Barra do Ribeiro
Dulce Sol
Earbob
Lemon Drop
Sugar Rush Peach
Trepadeira Werner
CAP 214
El Oro de Ecuador

Aji Oro Rocoto
Manzano Orange
Peru Bitdumi Rocoto
Pineapple Rocoto
Rocoto Guatamalan Orange
Rocoto Guatamalan Red

Duke Pequin
Ekirike

Brazilian Starfish x Lemon Drop F1
Pequin x Goat's Weed F2
Pimenta da Neyde x Bonda ma Jacques F6
Tepin x Lemon Drop
Fruxim

Cumari Pollux
C. Chacoense

I might have a problem. Do we have a Chilecoholic Anonymous group?

Anyway, let's see what this season brings us. I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot with this shitload of peppers. I'll post some pictures later. I hope. If I remember.

Well, seems I have my first ever fungus gnat infection. I was wondering what these little flies were, and then I saw D3 mention fungus gnats in a different topic. Never had or heard of them before, looked them up and it's what I have. Going to try to let the soil dry out a bit, then drench it with some diluted hydrogen peroxide a few times. Hopefully that'll clear them out pretty fast. 

Walchit said:
BT kills the larva, it's those mosquito disk things. Bacillus something...

Devv said:
+1 on #5. Good advise there!

BT comes in powder, liquid and the Mosquito dunks. It's a naturally organic, safe occurring bacteria that kills any worm type larva.

Thanks for the tip! But I think I need some kind of license to buy it here in the Netherlands. I can't find it anywhere. Any other options?

I have a lot of activity! Loads of varieties are popping up. The one I'm most excited and happy for is my first cross: Lemon Drop x Brazilian Starfish! 4/4 seeds germinated. I had 3 more seeds, but I planted those too early, before I had my warming mats. They never popped, but maybe they will still.

Unfortunately though, I have to put all my seedlings in the windowsill. Didn't find a place for my lighting yet.. At least it's a south-west facing window, so it's decent. I'll post some pictures soonish.

Here are some pictures I took today. Phone quality, sorry about that.

Very excited about the hooks on my Cumari Pollux, Tepin x Lemon Drop, CAP 214 and Fruxim. Excited about all the hooks of course, but I've been wanting to grow these for some time!

Also one of the seedlings from my own cross has a tricoty. Haven't seen many of those.
13a13c56689de9bc5303dba6f8813456.jpg
ae69573d205437b9f435686c711cc2ff.jpg
9164c7d78422da07d7ad0f634cfe8009.jpg
7c4cfe094f42aee0a2708b0b0d01fb96.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn PRA-LX1 met Tapatalk

Small update. Plants are growing, hooray! We've had a few sunny days, so they've been soaking in the rays on my windowsill. The windowsill is full now though, and I still have seeds germinating.

Also, I found the time to spread the cow manure over the garden. Looking pretty good, let's hope I can turn it into a beautiful garden.

Hey there, pepper friends. Time for an update. My plants have been growing pretty slow due to the cloudy weather and stuff. But I've finally put some effort into getting some lighting setup, and it turned out awesome. I found this old trophy cabinet in a thrift store. I paid 7.50 euros for it (about 9 dollars) and I saw some grow box potential in it. After seeing the lighting juanito used in his glog I ordered the same lights from Alibaba. It took a while for it to arrive. Because I'm not very handy myself I had to wait for my crafty father to have time to help me out. We finally put the work in these last few days, and it turned out awesome. I'm very happy with the result. It probably won't fit all my plants but that's no problem because it looks awesome.

XoAWEPnl.jpg

How it looked

qAy1XdZl.jpg

The inside

GGsXRhrl.jpg

After painting the inside white

Ymibpvtl.jpg

Installing the fan and air holes

RicSma9l.jpg

With the lighting

mUTTtyPl.jpg

Close up of fan and fan speed controller

vdbooRLl.jpg

Final result!

Thanks! The Dutch weather usually isn't very forgiving. Plant-out is usually somewhere in June if we're lucky. Night temps touch 10 degrees C (50 F) around the end of May But I'll have them outside during the day in pots hopefully in May already. But based on previous years I might even keep most of them in pots the whole year.

The weather right now (28 C/82 F) is really rare actually. Because of some high-pressure zone in Eastern Europe, the weather here is the warmest in Europe this week. Warmer even than Portugal, which sounds crazy. But it won't last long unfortunately, after the weekend the temps go back to 15 C (59 F).

b3rnd said:
Thanks! The Dutch weather usually isn't very forgiving. Plant-out is usually somewhere in June if we're lucky. Night temps touch 10 degrees C (50 F) around the end of May But I'll have them outside during the day in pots hopefully in May already. But based on previous years I might even keep most of them in pots the whole year.

The weather right now (28 C/82 F) is really rare actually. Because of some high-pressure zone in Eastern Europe, the weather here is the warmest in Europe this week. Warmer even than Portugal, which sounds crazy. But it won't last long unfortunately, after the weekend the temps go back to 15 C (59 F).
Ugh! That's the way it goes. They tease you with some decent weather, then take it away. That's where we are gonna be starting tomorrow...around 59 F. And continue there for at least two weeks. It rained and snowed a little today. I guess it's not so bad that I got a late start this year. Your plants look like they're loving the fresh air and sun rays!

Yeah well, I'll take what I can! Nobody half expected this weather so it's a warm welcome. But you're right, now the low temps are going to feel even worse than before, haha! At least we probably won't have any freezing days anymore. One of the few positive sides of our oceanic climate is the very few temperature extremes, it's pretty stable and reasonably predictable. But it also means a very narrow temperature range, which is good for a lot of crops. Except, of course, peppers...

Wow! You can definitely see the difference in the leaves. And the cross looks a bit stronger. Gonna be a healthy plant. I'm excited to see what it produces.

Bhuter said:
Wow! You can definitely see the difference in the leaves. And the cross looks a bit stronger. Gonna be a healthy plant. I'm excited to see what it produces.

Yeah, it definitely looks healthier, right? I was thinking it was my bias, but both were raised the same way for the same amount of time in the same soil etc., so it's healthier for sure. The Lemon Drop plant even comes from my own saved seeds from the same plant that I crossed the Starfish with. Let's hope for some tasty, good looking pods!

The only thing I'm reasonably sure of is that the pods will be red, because I know that's a dominant gene. No clue if bushy or tall growth is dominant. The shape of the thing will be the biggest surprise, I can't wait!

Back