• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Another seed starting method

Here's how I do it, YMMV.

I never did get the starting seeds in a baggy thing, it's probably because I start so many plants.

Here's the way I do it will much success. I'm using a Walmart tote with a cover that a 1020 tray will fit it for a little greenhouse/dome/germination chamber. You can use the same method using the plant starting domes, I use this big one to get hundreds of seeds started all at once and I only need to use 1 heat mat and small space for that to happen.

I don't like peat, If I use it then it's usually a light topping to cover the seeds. peat dries out hard and that's not good for sprouts. I usually use MG potting mix with moisture control and 3 months feeding, It's the blue bag.

I plant in 1 container and separate them after they get 1st set of true leaves. This allows me to start 50 seeds and be done with that variety.
I'm using these cheap loaf pans that most stores sell for a pot with about 10 holes in the bottom.
100_1404.jpg

I sift the potting soil with 1/4" hardware cloth and fill the container then I set them in a "odd job" tub from the big box stores to soak up water. After they are thoroughly wet I remove it and let it drain for about 30 minutes.
I lay the seeds in the container then cover with either potting soil or seed starting mix.
100_1367.jpg

I have the Walmart tote sitting on a heat mat on a desk. 
100_1347.jpg

100_1346.jpg

I open it up a few times a day to get air and as soon as the first seeds pop I take that container out and set it on top of the tote on another heating mat  under lights. This will prevent damping off due to it not being in a humid environment and the ceiling fan is blowing on them 24/7. The lights help with leggyness till they go to the greenhouse.
100_1586.jpg

100_1587.jpg

Once all are up I bring them in the greenhouse to grow big enough to transplant.

Here's some bell peppers I started Jan 16th
100_1549.jpg

I realize this won't work in every climate but it's adaptable just get creative.

Back