• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MikeUSMC 2018 Grow

Well, I'm about 2 weeks behind when I usually start, but I've been too damn busy lately. Once again, 'scaling back' my grow to about a dozen plants just ain't gonna happen, no matter how many times I tell myself that ;)

My 5th Season is underway, and
Here's my list for 2018:

These will be in 5 Gallon Buckets (backyard). I also plan on isolating A LOT of these plants this year.
- 7 Pot Douglah x 2
- Chocolate Scotch Bonnet x 2
- OBEAH (Genetikx)
- 7 Pot Cinder (F2?) (Bhuter)
- CGN 21500 (Bhuter)
- TFM Scotch Bonnet
- MoA Scotch Bonnet (MWCH)
- Bahamian Goat (MWCH)
- D3 Goat, Giant pheno (F4) (D3monic)
- D3 Goat, #4 (F3) (D3monic)
- D3 Goat, Peach Mild #2.5 (F3) (D3monic)
- Scotchbrains (G.I.P.)
- P. Dreadie "Select" Scotch Bonnet (Trident)
- P. Dreadie Scotch Bonnet (TGCM)
- Carolina Reaper, big tail pheno (TGCM)
- Ecuadorian Red Rocoto (TGCM)

10 Gallon Containers (backyard)
- Giant Yellow Rocoto (TGCM)
- Large Red Rocoto (TGCM)

Ornamentals (front yard)
- Numex Twilight
- Numex Twilight (Overwintered Bonchi)
- Chinese 5 Color x 3

Same as every other year, I'll be using 5:1:1 mix in 5 gallon buckets. I'm still undecided whether or not I'll use CSN17 or Dyna Gro ferts yet; I've had success w/ both.

I plan on presoaking the seeds tomorrow night in a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution, then letting them hit the dirt the following day. MG Seed Starting Mix w/ additional perlite into a 72 cell tray. Same mix into Solo cups. Then, 5:1:1 in 1 gallon containers. Then, 5:1:1 into (final) 5 gallon buckets

Special thanks to everyone who contributed seeds to my grow this year!
Thanks for following, and best of luck to everyone's grow this year! :party:
:cheers:

Here's the link to my 2017 Grow, if anyone's interested:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/64964-mikeusmc-2017-grow/?p=1471525

Interesting varieties. I'm growing a couple of them too (Douglah, SB MoA, Bahamian Goat).

I'd like to see your bonchi. I've started one a few weeks ago (just for fun though, I don't really know what I'm doing :) )

I hope everything goes well for you and your grow!

Nice list buddy. I tried to keep my list somewhat limited this year too but of course I just kept adding more and more varieties. It's too hard to choose.  

Dinsdale said:
I'd like to see your bonchi. I've started one a few weeks ago (just for fun though, I don't really know what I'm doing :) )
No worries, I don't know what the hell I'm doing either ;)

It's been pretty uneventful actually, haha. I think I've fertilized it once, and watered it 3 times total. No trimming either (shrug). Fighting fungus gnats a little, here and there

IMG_6186.JPG

Here's the post from when I originally chopped it:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/65441-the-kaos-bonchi-its-a-ghost/?p=1501359

Thanks for the well wishes, everybody! It's hard to believe it's already that time of year again! I'm still not done processing all the pods from last year in my freezer. Actually, I still have some in there from 2016 too (and one bag from 2015!), hahaha

PtMD989 said:
How full do you fill the 5 gal buckets?
All the way up to the top, minus about 3". Leave the roots as much room to grow as possible. I went back and edited my first post in this thread to add the link to my 2017 Grow. I'm sure you'll be able to find a decent pic in there somewhere :cheers:

Thanks, guys! :cheers:

I also added a Red Galapagos Habanero to my list this year because I couldn't help myself, haha. Seeds courtesy of Bhuter; thanks again, bro! Nigel's review of that pod officially decided it for me. I think I'm gonna grow 2 more plants too, but haven't decided on which two yet. I'm leaning towards another OBEAH (from Genetikx) for one of them. Possibly a Farmer's Market Jalapeño (TGCM) for the other. If for nothing else, just as a novelty. I'd really like to watch one of those grow up close over the course of a season. Maybe a Chocolate Brain Strain (TGCM). I can't make up my freakin' mind, hahaha

Got everything soaking in the water / hydrogen peroxide mix now. They'll be hitting the dirt tomorrow. Here's a link about gardening w/ hydrogen peroxide (with ratios) that I've used pretty frequently. Good for soaking seeds, fighting fungus gnats, etc.:
http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

Genetikx said:
What ya got for lighting and why aren't you growing mustard hab...lol... You got room

surprisingly I don't have seeds for mustard hab. are they tasty?

Mike, hopefully you have luck germinating the D3 Goat f4. It's been pretty spotty. Maybe 5-10% germ rate. I think I picked the pods too early trying to get seeds out to sentencedtoburn in New Zealand. 

Genetikx said:
What ya got for lighting?
Wait til you see this "beauty" I've got for lighting, when I pull it out (probably next week), hahaha. When I bought my house, I found two 2'x4' T12 four bulb light fixtures, that came out of an office ceiling, in my attic. Pulled out the hardwiring and replaced w/ regular plug in cords. 6500K bulbs at 16 on / 8 off costs me about $10/month. They were free, and they work great, but wait until you see these things, haha! They look like dinosaurs compared to some people's setups here. If I had to guess, I'd say they're probably from the 1970's :rofl: Hey, they work!!! ;)

Genetikx said:
why aren't you growing mustard hab...lol... You got room
Haha, I know, bro. There's "always" room for "just one more" ;)

D3monic said:
Mike, hopefully you have luck germinating the D3 Goat f4. It's been pretty spotty. Maybe 5-10% germ rate. I think I picked the pods too early trying to get seeds out to sentencedtoburn in New Zealand.
"#4" or "F4"? One was a "D3 Goat #4 (F3 this year, right?)" and the "D3 Goat, Giant Pheno" is F4 this year. I doubt I'll have trouble with the Giant pheno. Remember you sent me that box of pods last year? That Giant pheno had the SFRB bursting at the seams! :rofl:

Here's the (F3) pod the seeds came from:
IMG_5400.JPG

IMG_5401.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

#BEASTMODE!

Honestly, I don't even remember what the "#4" looked or tasted like.

I'll definitely be growing all of your crosses out in isolation, D3 :cheers:

Back