#101 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,834 posts
  • aka:Iron Mike

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:02 AM

You seem to be doing fairly well with fatalii

Thanks, Chuck! Yeah, this is the second time I've grown Fataliis. Both times, I ordered live plants from Cross Country Nurseries in New Jersey, USA (chileplants.com). I'm growing 2 plants this year.

Fatalii did extremely well for me in 2015 too. I find them to be very prolific plants
IMG_7300.JPG
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."
-General James "Mad Dog" Mattis (to Iraqi tribal leaders, 2006)

#102 karoo

karoo

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:54 AM

Great pods and pic.

Best angle on any pepper plant!

" I wish I was as young as the first time I said, " I'm getting to old for this sh!t." "

#103 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:13 PM

Some more pickins from yesterday
IMG_7414.JPG

Numex Twilights out front are going bonkers, lol. The one in the front is the one I overwintered and bonchied (< is that a word? ;) ) last year. I'll be doing the same this year. There's 4 (or 5?) plants in there. All the ones in the back are "volunteers" in that pot, haha. Happens every year
IMG_7415.JPG

Aji Chombo finally coming around. I can't get over how long it took for these to ripen
IMG_7411.JPG

Haven't tasted them yet (Aji Chombo), but the pods are gigantic!
IMG_7412.JPG

:cheers:
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all."

#104 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

Numex Twilights out front are going bonkers, lol. The one in the front is the one I overwintered and bonchied (< is that a word? ;) ) last year. I'll be doing the same this year

http://thehotpepper....host/?p=1588118

Frost warning last night (no frost this morning, of course :rolleyes: ), but it only got down to 38*. Pulled all my pods on the plants anyway
IMG_7459.JPG

My "massive" Rocoto harvest for the year! ;) Don't even be jealous! :rofl:
Off of 2 plants too, hahaha
IMG_7460.JPG

It's been a fun year again, everyone! Thanks for looking!
Let the sauce making begin! :party:
:cheers:

#105 Bhuter

Bhuter

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 2,395 posts
  • aka:Adam

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:07 AM

Very nice, Mike! Great color on the white Bhut! My rocoto last year gave me about 3 pods total while the Aji Oro exploded for a first year Pubescens. I'm thinking about growing Aji Oro again next year. Great season mike! I need to scale my varieties down, too (yeah, that won't happen. Lol). Nice looking enormous Chombos! Thank you for sharing your year!

#106 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,233 posts
  • aka:Bhuthead Andy

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:50 AM

I need to grow less varieties so I can get a decent harvest of individual types at the same time. Btw, I just sent the wife to the post office. So keep an eye out in a couple days

#107 Shorerider

Shorerider

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 2,274 posts
  • (x2)

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:13 PM

Just went through all six pages, great work Mike.  :clap: Probably not the outcome you had planned on, but still a reasonably successful one at least. 

I can't believe your "massive Rocoto harvest" :eh: . Are Pubes really that hard to grow up there? 

🤠 Oi, that's not a noife.

#108 MikeUSMC

MikeUSMC

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:20 PM

Thanks guys!

I can't believe your "massive Rocoto harvest" :eh: . Are Pubes really that hard to grow up there? 

Yeah, man. For me, anyway, haha. No problem getting them to germinate or anything like that. It just takes them soooooooooo long to actually set pods. They'll put out flowers like crazy, all Summer long, but they drop just as fast as they set for me. I know they grow better in cooler temps, so I kept them in full shade w/ partial sun all season long, and that's still the "harvest" I got :rofl: . It sucks, because my two plants are GIGANTIC too. If the branches weren't so damn long and gangly (and stuck straight up in the air), they'd be like 8ft (2.5m) tall!

I've also heard that they do much better in the second year, if you overwinter them. I tried it last year, but they attracted enough aphids (inside) to make you gag. Only needed to make it through one more month of winter too. I ended up throwing them outside in the snow, to die a cold, miserable death ;)

Not sure if I feel like dealing with that again, hahaha

#109 Shorerider

Shorerider

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 2,274 posts
  • (x2)

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:36 PM

That must suck, after putting all that time and effort in, especially after overwintering them. I hear very similar stories from many of you guys based in the states.

Sorry to have to say this, but they do very exceptionally well down here. Mine are on their third season this year, are never overwintered and remain outdoors in my raised beds all through winter. We are only just into spring, they got a heavy pruning a few weeks back where I even managed to harvest a handful of ripe pods. They usually put out their best and biggest pods in winter, but do most of their production mid to late Autumn. I grow mine in full sun and they thrive, I had to prune them again mid season because they were dwarfing my new season plants and hogging all the sunlight.  :shocked:

🤠 Oi, that's not a noife.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 5:1:1 Mix, 5 Gallon Buckets, Bonnets, Goats, D3 Crosses, Superhots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests