• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Beerbreath81--2018

Time to get this glog going, I actually started growing from seed Jan 22. Most of my seeds this year came from TexasHotPeppers...so big thanks to Garth. I did have some from my usual vendors (Tradewinds and Baker Creek).

I used a mix of Promix and Coco Coir for growing medium and my germ rates were really good everything has come up except for Golden Greek Pepperoncini. Wont be long and these will be ready for new pots.

Not much to look at right now but here's a few pics leading up to present

Jan 22
jan 22.JPG

Feb. 1
feb 1.JPG

feb1......JPG

feb1....JPG

feb1...JPG

FEB1..JPG

Feb. 7
feb 77.JPG

feb7777.JPG

Feb. 11
feb11.JPG

:cheers:

Looking good....did you get those golden pepperoncini from thp?.

I have been growing stavros for a few yrs now for pickling....just might have to look into some golden.

Looking good so far, good luck this season.

Thanks everyone!! Just thinned the heard last to leave one per cell.

Masher said:
Looking good....did you get those golden pepperoncini from thp?.

I have been growing stavros for a few yrs now for pickling....just might have to look into some golden.

Looking good so far, good luck this season.

Masher
I think I got the GG from tradewinds a year or two ago, they are pretty common around here and can find easy in the local stores, I haven't grown the Stavros yet

Cheers!

Plants suffered an overwatering issue recently but are making a comeback, here's how they looked before overwatering. Also working on putting in a drip system for all the trees, bushes, grapes and the garden got roughly 1000ft of trench dug yesterday and some of the drip tubing ran. Hope to finish this week. The garden soil is looking good and soon will be ready for the plants to get in the ground. Will be putting up a windscreen this year hopefully it will make a difference.

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

Finally finished with the drip system to all the trees/bushes/garden etc. Had some weather issues that slowed me down, so glad to have it finished.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Got the garden all tilled up over the weekend
3.JPG

...and weed barrier in
4.JPG

...and drip system installed
5.JPG

...and windbreak fence put up
6.JPG

7.JPG

got the first 4 rows planted, beans/peas//zucchini/onions/cucumbers/melons, peppers will go in this weekend got them up from the basement and on the kitchen table.

Looking good Anthony!

That wind protection looks great, and it should serve you well.

Good luck!

figure ill throw in an update, man I have really neglected this glog this year. It been a busy summer for sure, with the boys in sports, working 10 hr shifts, 6 days a week, and keeping up on the garden. We were able to slip away for a couple weeks in June, the wife and I visited Aruba. Very beautiful island, we had a lot of fun snorkeling, diving and horseback riding. Can't wait to return. Anyways back o the update....things have been going really good for me this year, the dirt work has finally paid off, all the manure, cover crops and the leaves that have been added over the last couple years (thanks catherinew). The windbreak has held up pretty good, I think I'll only be able o get another year out of it though, so may need to look into alternatives. The wind has torn the grommets off and ive had to retie a few times, but having it up really helped the beginning part of the grow when the plants were smaller. Now they are getting big, loaded with peppers and im in the middle of getting them supported. The past few weeks the zucchini have been overloading us, we have three plants and are picking three a day. I've managed to make a few jars of zucchini pickles but will be making much more I think, gave a lot of it away top the neighbors too. The annums are producing now and so ive canned some wax peppers and pepperoncini too. The wifes garden up near the house is doing really well too, she added rabbit poo through the winter months and I think it has paid off, she planted a bunch of potatoes and pumpkins which are doing good. This past week we have some help watering the gardens its rained nearly every day but luckly no hail. Here are a few pictures of the garden.

This was at the end of June after returning from vacation, and after weeding. The weeds under the barrier frew so much that it was pushing the weed barrier up and got my drip hoses all offline. We lost some plants due to lack of water.
1.JPG

2.JPG

This was the first haul from the garden, around July 10th
3.JPG

Got em canned up right away
4.JPG

Here is the wifes garden near the house taken mid july
5.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

Here is the main garden near mid july
13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

here is another bit of goodies taken july 20th
18.JPG

19.JPG

this is from last night
20.JPG

Hope everyone's grow is doing well, thanks for stopping by.

Pickles-- :party:

Local farm had a sale on pickling cucumbers about a month ago 24 bucks for a bushel. So figured it be about time to restock the pickles.

Brine--
3 cups water
1 cup cider vinegar
1/8 cup pickling salt
optional--1/8 tsp tumeric

Adders--
1-2 heads of fresh dill
few dried arbol peppers
few shakes of dill seed, mustard seed
pinch of whole cloves
couple garlic cloves
couple grape leaves
optional---(teaspoon or so of carolina reaper/ghost pepper puree)

you can find the mash here for pretty cheap, very tasty stuff--
https://www.pepperexplosion.com/carolina-reaper-mash/
https://www.pepperexplosion.com/ghost-chili-bhut-jolokia-pepper-mash/

process in waterbath for 10-12 min set to cool store for at least one month and enjoy

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

I'm making some pickles right now. My recipe that ive been usi g is 2 and a quarter cups each of vinegar and water and 2 tablespoons of salt. Maybe I could cut the vinegar down some huh?

Walchit said:
I'm making some pickles right now. My recipe that ive been usi g is 2 and a quarter cups each of vinegar and water and 2 tablespoons of salt. Maybe I could cut the vinegar down some huh?
I believe it is personal preference, if you like em stick with it. :D

Devv said:
Nice work Anthony!

thanks Scott, finally a good year. Ive been very happy with the turnout this year and still see some improvements that could be made for next year

Here is some pics from last weekend--

Potatoes are starting to come in this was from only 7 plants the wife planted 24 so I got some more digging to do very soon. Super happy on the celery :party:

1.JPG

decided to use them right away
2.JPG

3.JPG

next day I spent time picking peppers......and canning of course. I tried something new here on the brine I did 14cups water 18 cups distilled vinegar a heaping 1/4 cup pickling salt and sprinkled in a little ball premade mix for kosher dill pickles and some turmeric for color. the brine was AWESOME

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Back