• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

My first attempt at jalapeno poppers

So I had my first attempt of Poppers last night.

2cr7hx0.jpg

Came out looking amazing but was lacking flavour. more than likely due to the fact that they were only stuffed with cream cheese and beer batter & bread crumb coating.

Any tips from the pro's? I have a few left and was going to try again soon, is it better to add some spice to the coating or filling? or both?

And anything else good to stuff them with?

Cheers everyone

They look great. Try stuffing them with a flavored gournay cheese. Or a blend of different cheeses. Pepper jack and cream cheese is good. Can't go wrong with a little bacon crumbles in the mix either.

They look good to me.

The first time I made poppers I deseeded and deveined the peppers with my bare hands.  I'd been used to working with hotter peppers but hadn't made jalapeno poppers in a large quantity.  I believed jalapenos not to be hot enough to warrant being too careful.  So, I had hunan hands for 3 days.  After two days the burning was so serious I began to wonder if I'd started coming down with some kind of neuropathy by coincidence.  It took 3 full days to go away.

So yea, I think your first attempt is fine.

A good first attempt for sure.For more flavour, I'd recommend mixing grated mature cheddar (or similar stronger cheese) 50/50 with your cream cheese and perhaps adding a touch of cumin or black pepper. Ramsons are surprisingly good in there too, if they happen to be in season.

As for monteray jack, I love the stuff but would put it in pure if I were using it. The 50/50 cream cheese and regular likely gives a better texture but I really want to taste my jack if I'm using it in poppers.

Oh and, if you happen to have any, give Sugar Rush poppers a go.

LocalFart said:
So I had my first attempt of Poppers last night.

2cr7hx0.jpg

Came out looking amazing but was lacking flavour. more than likely due to the fact that they were only stuffed with cream cheese and beer batter & bread crumb coating.

Any tips from the pro's? I have a few left and was going to try again soon, is it better to add some spice to the coating or filling? or both?

And anything else good to stuff them with?

Cheers everyone

You senor need no tips from any body.

Looks like you've got a good crunch goin' on.

Season to your liking.

Stuffing?

Refried beans and cheese.

Chorizo.

Leftover carne asada.

Why not doing the same for canned pickled jalapenos?

Ain't no rules.

Mr.CtChilihead said:
They look great. Spike the cream cheese with some hot sauce. I prefer ABT's my self. Made some with dinner the other night. I should have done a drunken chef post on this meal.
27658093_1709692689088739_6137422908853667471_n.jpg

Ya' know its funny.

In my teens I could eat that whole 'thang in about 10 minutes.

In my twenties about 12.

In my thirties about an hour.

In my forties I wouldn't be able to finish it.

In my fifties I'd eat the filet portion.

Eat one popper.

The potato.

And the green beans and mushroom.

In 11 months I'll be 60.

And then....

Give me 1/2 of that filet.

With one half of one of those poppers.

Skip the potato.

And give me the green beans and mushroom.

I wish I was 12 again.

And eating at grandma's table.

WarrantMan said:
My favorite are pods stuffed with pimento cheese and a sliver of anchovy.

In Texas pimento cheese spread is considered a health food.

And also Spanish Fly.

Why you skimp on anchovy with only one sliver?

I'd eat a tin of anchovies just deciding what the hell I'd be using the next tin for.

But I'm crazy.

That way.

Why else would I be here posting?

Back