• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

UK growers

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I was wondering if there's any fellow UK growers here without a real indoor setup (no grow lights etc. for seedlings)?

I'm looking to hopefully grow from seed this year, but I'm not able to have an indoor set up to start any seedlings unfortunatly. I have grown plenty of chilli plants form seedlings I've bought from stores, but am hoping to get some more interesting varieties going.

Has anybody else in the uk (or similar climates) had any luck growing from seed with out any artificial help to start?
Hopefully somebody may be able to give a few tips.

dragonsfire said:
Welcome to the Forum !! :cheers:
As long as you have a good window their should not be a problem, just rotate them regularly.

Thanks, I'd hoped that'd be the case.

I figure if I can just get a head start until they are ready to be moved to my polytunnel then it'll be a big help.

Hi and welcome!  I don't fit your criteria as I bought some grow lights.  Any particular reason why you can't?  E.g. I have a small growlight from IKEA in a windowsill; doesn't take up any room really.

Assuming lights aren't an option, do you have any south-facing windows?  If you're starting seeds at this time of year (mid Feb) then daylight is probably going to be enough.  If you wanted to start earlier (Dec-Jan) then I'd say you need lights.  Your plants might start off a bit lanky but they should be fine once you get them out to the polytunnel. 

Good luck!

Back