•  

The 11th Annual Hot Pepper Awards - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Photo

Sawyer '18 Back from the Void

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 Sawyer

Sawyer

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • aka:Sawyer

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:05 AM

Came to see how you were doing...yup, you got things well under control!

Padron is the same as poblano or just similar?

Thanks, Ryan. "Under control" might be an exaggeration, but I'm trying.

Poblano and Padron aren't the same. I'm not really sure how similar they are. I think the Poblano is significantly larger. I guess they both have the variable heat thing going. They might play similar roles in Mexican and Spanish cuisine, respectively.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#102 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,435 posts
  • aka:Scott

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:24 PM

The Padron is about half the size of a Poblano, it also has a thinner wall. Heats in the same range. Padrons should do well stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. We also use them in salads and we're drying some as well. Another use would be diced and cooked with Squash or Asparagus with Garlic; we use a pinch Avocado oil when cooking them.

Edited by Devv, 09 June 2018 - 03:25 PM.

It's all about the pods....

#103 DontPanic

DontPanic

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:51 PM

The Original Ghosts, Mystery Jalapeños, and Fudge arrived Monday.

Thanks for all your generosity and effort on these.

tj8ichZ.jpg

Everything looks like it made it in good condition.  I was worried about them sitting in a hot warehouse somewhere, but it looks like they made it just fine.

There's more plants in there than it looks like.  I broke these four bundles of pepper seedlings up into 10 pots.  I could have broken them out even further, but it is already more than I need at this point in the year.

The fudge is really good.  The mixture of heat and sweetness is unique.  Did I detect some Orange flavor in that batch?  It also tasted alittle like caramel, but maybe that was the vanilla flavoring? The consistency was fine, pretty much exactly what I'd expect for fudge.  As an added benefit, you can probably count on the kids leaving it alone.  :)

I know it's late in the year to be working with seedlings, but my first freeze isn't typically until the end of November or beginning of December, so I should still have time to get a harvest in the fall.

Thanks again for everything!

#104 Sawyer

Sawyer

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:26 AM

The Padron is about half the size of a Poblano, it also has a thinner wall. Heats in the same range. Padrons should do well stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. We also use them in salads and we're drying some as well. Another use would be diced and cooked with Squash or Asparagus with Garlic; we use a pinch Avocado oil when cooking them.

All those sound tasty. And avocado oil is hands down my favorite oil for high temperature cooking. It has the highest smoke point of the commonly available oils and in RBDW form, has a relatively neutral flavor. Try it for making popcorn sometime.

I'm going to let this first Padron pod ripen for seed, since nothing else was blooming at the time it set, but cheese stuffing and bacon wrap are in the future for some of the others.

The Original Ghosts, Mystery Jalapeños, and Fudge arrived Monday.

Thanks for all your generosity and effort on these.

tj8ichZ.jpg

Everything looks like it made it in good condition.  I was worried about them sitting in a hot warehouse somewhere, but it looks like they made it just fine.

There's more plants in there than it looks like.  I broke these four bundles of pepper seedlings up into 10 pots.  I could have broken them out even further, but it is already more than I need at this point in the year.

The fudge is really good.  The mixture of heat and sweetness is unique.  Did I detect some Orange flavor in that batch?  It also tasted alittle like caramel, but maybe that was the vanilla flavoring? The consistency was fine, pretty much exactly what I'd expect for fudge.  As an added benefit, you can probably count on the kids leaving it alone.  :)

I know it's late in the year to be working with seedlings, but my first freeze isn't typically until the end of November or beginning of December, so I should still have time to get a harvest in the fall.

Thanks again for everything!

You're welcome. I'm glad the plants made it. They look a little stressed, but less so than I would be if I'd just spent a few days sealed up in an unventilated cardboard box.

Thanks for the feedback on the fudge. There is both orange and vanilla flavoring in it. The caramel flavor could be the vanilla or could come from the processing. It's been a challenge to get the consistency right, but I'm getting close. Working on packaging and labeling now.

#105 Sawyer

Sawyer

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:11 AM

Well, things are moving along slowly here. Finally got some plants in the ground yesterday. Ghosts and and a variety of cherry tomatoes. Back around last Thanksgiving, Walmart had a clear plastic football-shaped package of seven different kinds of cherry tomatoes ranging in color from yellow to dark purple. I figure most are probably hybrids, but it will be interesting to see what grows from them.

My garden is a total disaster, with bamboo encroaching on one end and brambles everywhere else. I have a couple spots almost ready, but in the meantime, I'm turning my front yard into garden space. (Already have blueberries and apple trees there.) The soil there is much poorer than in the garden proper, seems to be mostly sand and clay, enough sand that it has excellent drainage.

The Bocking comfrey I tried to grow there two or three years ago barely survived, so I've moved those that did survive to pots and have put the peppers and tomatoes into the vacated holes. I added a fistful of Azomite to each hole and will water with a low dose of water-soluble fertilizer each time I water.

If I'm going to have any significant production this year, I have to get a 18' x 30' framework set up and covered for some season extension.

As it stands, only the OWs are going to have a decent shot at doing their thing. Papa Dreadie, Bahamian Goat, Padron, Tepin, and a couple I won't know what they are until they start producing. Most of these have been up-potted to their final pots for the year and are starting to grow again.

I'll post some pictures in a day or two, if the damn deer and rabbits don't eat everything first.

PS - Gonna watch the CWS this afternoon. Woo Pig Sooie!

Edited by Sawyer, 17 June 2018 - 08:27 AM.

#106 TrentL

TrentL

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:38 AM

Hopefully things work out for you, tilling up new ground and throwing plants in is always like throwing a hail mary, but as long as the soil is well drained and in the right pH range you can always prop 'em up on liquid nutes! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests