17 replies to this topic

#1 pallottahot

pallottahot

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

Curious as to what company many on here use to ship their products (USPS, UPS, Fedex...). I offer a flat shipping fee of 6 bucks on any order, but lately I have been killed on shipping costs. I like offering a flat shipping rate and dont want to hammer the customer with high shipping costs, but if I cant find a cheaper alternative, I'm going to have to start charging the customer. Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

I'm not a hot sauce maker but I order a lot of sauce and have received multiple shipments in the flat rate bubble envelopes. Cost is $7 and change. Wrap each bottle with large bubble wrap and add additional bubble wrap or packing peanuts to the envelope. Seems to work pretty well.

#3 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 47,042 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

I was going to mention that method. It's $7.25 or $7.10 using stamps.com. Get some of the large bubble wrap (not the micro) for best protection, and fit 3 or so bottles.

You can even fit a box inside, if you have hot sauce boxes. So it ships flat rate $7.10 because it's wrapped in that envelope. ;)

flat_rate_padded_envelope.jpg

#4 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 47,042 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

When amazon debuts their own shipping service get ready for some price wars. Woot!

#5 juanitos

juanitos

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:02 PM

you can use an aggregator, like easypost or shippo, to find the lowest price. 

usps does give you free shipping materials so you have to factor that in a little.

Edited by juanitos, 13 February 2018 - 03:07 PM.

juanitospeppers.com - seeds, plants, fresh peppers

#6 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

I looked at your website just now and saw the 5 bottle set for $30.99. That's a pretty good price for 5 bottles. How have you been shipping those?

#7 pallottahot

pallottahot

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

I was going to mention that method. It's $7.25 or $7.10 using stamps.com. Get some of the large bubble wrap (not the micro) for best protection, and fit 3 or so bottles.

You can even fit a box inside, if you have hot sauce boxes. So it ships flat rate $7.10 because it's wrapped in that envelope. ;)

attachicon.gifflat_rate_padded_envelope.jpg

Thanks, this is a great idea. My typical order is 2-3 bottles that I ship in individual boxes to fit a woozy bottle. I'm going to give this a try since it looks like it can fit the small boxes.

#8 pallottahot

pallottahot

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

you can use an aggregator, like easypost or shippo, to find the lowest price. 

usps does give you free shipping materials so you have to factor that in a little.

I've never heard of these companies and will take a look. 

#9 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 47,042 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

Yup and you can tape the woozy boxes together. Pretty sure 3 will fit, if doing 4, possibly as a cube formation. Let us know.

#10 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:22 PM

I'm actually sitting here right now trying to figure out an effective and safe way to fit 5 into a flat rate envelope. lol. It might be a challenge...

#11 pallottahot

pallottahot

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

I looked at your website just now and saw the 5 bottle set for $30.99. That's a pretty good price for 5 bottles. How have you been shipping those?

I just added the gift set to my store and havent had an order yet but have had orders for 4, 5, 6, bottles. The company I work for (i.e. my full time job) had a deal with UPS where we could take advantage of UPS shipping for personal use. Shipping costs were discounted by about 30-40%. That deal ended and my company no longer offers it as a benefit this year. When they offered this perk, I would ship them in individual boxes small enough for a woozy and just tape and package them together with brown paper wrap. So because of that I was able to offer 6.00 flat, with taking a small hit here and there, but now they no longer offer it, its a killer. 

#12 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

Well don't go changing your prices yet until I can get an order in. haha

#13 tctenten

tctenten

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

Thanks, this is a great idea. My typical order is 2-3 bottles that I ship in individual boxes to fit a woozy bottle. I'm going to give this a try since it looks like it can fit the small boxes.

Try Regional Rate A boxes too. I find them better than flat rate.

#14 PexPeppers

PexPeppers

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts
  • aka:Peppers

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:30 PM

attachicon.gifflat_rate_padded_envelope.jpg

7.03 with stamps.com..

I use u-line 2x6x8" boxes for 3 bottles of sauce, the 3 bottles of sauce are wrapped in a bubble mailer so theres 3 layers of padding (Padded FRE, Box, regular plastic padded Envelope) and you can fit a 4th bottle on top of the box but it is a bit tight. for anything larger i use cubic rates or fedex smartpost. for really heavy stuff I use Fedex.

#15 Sinn

Sinn

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:26 AM

I just added the gift set to my store and havent had an order yet but have had orders for 4, 5, 6, bottles. The company I work for (i.e. my full time job) had a deal with UPS where we could take advantage of UPS shipping for personal use. Shipping costs were discounted by about 30-40%. That deal ended and my company no longer offers it as a benefit this year. When they offered this perk, I would ship them in individual boxes small enough for a woozy and just tape and package them together with brown paper wrap. So because of that I was able to offer 6.00 flat, with taking a small hit here and there, but now they no longer offer it, its a killer. 

I just placed one for the gift set but it looks like it didn't charge me the shipping? invoice me for the shipping feel free to test out any shipping method you come of with and I'll let you know how it arrives :surprised:

#16 pallottahot

pallottahot

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:05 AM

I just placed one for the gift set but it looks like it didn't charge me the shipping? invoice me for the shipping feel free to test out any shipping method you come of with and I'll let you know how it arrives :surprised:

Thanks so much for placing an order! Don't worry about the shipping. This is the second time it has happened with PayPal where they didn't charge shipping. It's an issue with PayPal because when people use their credit/debit cards it works fine. PayPal will reimburse me the 6 dollars.

#17 Sinn

Sinn

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

Alright no problem sauces look great can't wait to try them

#18 pallottahot

pallottahot

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:33 PM

Alright no problem sauces look great can't wait to try them

PM me your feedback when you get the bottles, if you haven't gotten them already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests