• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking UDS build and eventually some cooking

I've been wanting to build a UDS=Ugly Drum Smoker for a while and finally found a drum with food grade stuff in it.  As it turns out it came from a pepper company that I didn't know existed close to me. It's like I've been living in a cave, how didn't I know this?

Here's the beaut
100_1622.JPG

Check out the contents
100_1624.JPG

And the packing label
100_1625.JPG

So I google and find their website, they're a big player in the sauce business and sell a few BBQ sauces too
http://www.bulliardshotsauce.com/
http://peppersunlimitedofla.com/products/foodservice/lasupreme/
http://peppersunlimitedofla.com/products/foodservice/bulliards-local-legends/

They even custom blend if anyone is interested.
http://peppersunlimitedofla.com/

Stay tuned for details, I should be done and do a test run this weekend!!!

This weekend? You have all the parts to build it?

Depending on how fancy you get with it, it's really just a charcoal basket, some bolts, a few valves, and a cooking grate

Def gotta burn the paint out first though, lol

I like that it comes from a pepper company. That's pretty cool. I've been wanting to build one out of a big propane tank to put on a trailer but my welding skills are fair at best so that probably won't happen anytime soon.

MikeUSMC said:
Depending on how fancy you get with it, it's really just a charcoal basket, some bolts, a few valves, and a cooking grate

Def gotta burn the paint out first though, lol

Yes and I was asking if he had all that lol......

MikeUSMC said:
Same here. Ed! I just can't justify a reason to build one that big, other than "to have one" ;)
Exactly. My justification for wanting one is to just have one. You know what they say about a guy with a big bbq right.. :party:

I would've replied earlier but I had to change the starter in the ride.

I stopped at Home Depot and picked up almost everything. I could've got it all but I didn't want the Weber grate with flip up sides. This is too easy for a generic smoker. I will play with it a little then start making it mine with some fancy additions.

Parts are cheap
100_1626.JPG

I went off the basic design to get it going, here's the PDF.
http://howtobbqright.com/UDSsmokerplans.pdf

I'm not gonna burn it before running it through a basket of coals. I wanna see how long it will burn and how accurate it holds temps. I don't cook over about 315 unless the coals get away from me and I want to see how much paint will burn off the outside before I go crazy sanding it down to put high heat paint on it.

I'm guessing that Butter oil is what we all eat in Hot Wing sauce and there's still about an inch of it in the barrel. It didn't even run when I had it layed on the side to bring it home. I think I'll scrape it out and use that for a coating on the inside. I'm not sure yet but I know it has a use in this project, maybe mixed with some BBQ sauce to build a bark on the inside.

Does anyone have other ideas? 

You may be right, I'll just use that butter oil that's in it.

Next question: It has a painted liner inside the drum, should I remove it?  Thoughts/Concerns? 

The inside of the barrel is painted/coated. I would think it's food safe and shouldn't be a problem unless it burns and gives off fumes.  I'm researching it farther but I think I'm leaving it alone after reading a few forums about the liner.

Here's an example response

I bought a drum from you recently with the epoxy phenolic liner that I intend to convert to a smoker. I don’t anticipate ever cooking anything at over 400 degrees, mostly low & slow, 225 degrees. I know it is supposed to be safe for food but Is it safe for cooking bbq? Does this liner need to be removed prior to smoking on it? Thanks!

Hello, I must apologize for the delayed response. Thank you for purchasing a drum from Skolnik. Having the interior lined will not effect your smoker environment. The liner is similar to a high temperature paint and all the ingredients in the liner are food safe. After some use, the liner may begin to peel due to heat exposure. Just wire brush the peelings to prevent them from dropping onto your food. Hope you have many great tasting bbq’s!

I'm getting started and like always, as soon as I need my cordless drill it dies and needs a charge.

100_1630.JPG

100_1631.JPG

Step bits are gonna make this easy
100_1633.JPG

100_1632.JPG

I would DEFINITELY burn or grind that liner out. You should not rely on a second hand forum post from a customer support rep from the barrel company, when, in the first place, they are not intended to be smokers.

You need to be safe, not sorry.  That liner could leech out stuff considered safe by some, toxic by others, whatever. Exposed flame is not intended so barrel companies are not authorities on safety. Just get rid of it.

I just read a tutorial that says to remove, hope this helps. Do a long burnout and the coating will become brittle enough to scrub out with a wire or nylon brush and abrasive cleaner.

Good luck on your build...I have made a couple uds in my time.....you really do need to burn that liner out....big fire...then your good to go.....that liner does not make for good bbq.

OK, OK I'll burn it out to be safe. I do know someone with a sandblast shop but I would still need to burn all the butter oil out of it.

I'm done enough to test it out so this will be the burn to remove the butter oil.
100_1634.JPG

I used self taps to get it together before I bolt it all up, lid hanger is a must from me seeing people set the lid on a table.
100_1636.JPG

100_1637.JPG

I lucked out and had a wire basket that fit perfect and I only had to add legs to the back side.
100_1638.JPG

100_1639.JPG

100_1640.JPG

I'm not even close to done, I want to add some bling but I need to test it out and see what changes I want. I'll burn it today maybe and see if the liner comes off and go from there.

Back