• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Roo's 2018 Container Gardening Attempts

I caught the garden bug again. 

It's been a couple years since I did much of any gardening - I moved to Asheville for a year and a half and had two 'gardens' that ended up being rather disappointing and producing very little of anything. What they did produce was quite disappointing - weirdly stunted tomatoes, oddly shaped peppers... I'm sure I was doing many things wrong, but nothing I tried helped! It also didn't help that the bear and her cubs tromped through and broke a bunch of my plants.

Anyway, I bought a townhouse with a nice deck late last year, and I've spent the winter eyeing the deck thinking about how I can utilize the space for gardening. When I walked by the stacks of $2.50 5-gallon buckets yesterday, I was struck with inspiration! 

I was already planning to start some rose and ginger seeds I bought on eBay (I know, I know - but they were cheap and I bought them thinking "These probably aren't going to grow, or grow right, but it'll be a fun experiment), and a couple cherry pits I saved from some fruit last year (I know, I know - most seeds saved from store-bought fruit don't grow true, but again, experiment). 

Now I'm thinking I'll add a few jalapeños and tomato seeds to this seed-starting experiment with the goal of transplanting them into buckets after the frost danger has passed (because while it may be mid-70s now, this is NC and therefore it's likely frost again before we're through with winter).

The HOA allows for a planting box on the deck railing, so I'm going to do some herbs in one of those (likely basil and chives, since those are really all I use). 

Tips for container gardening would be appreciated! In the meantime, I'll just be over here trying to urge my little seeds to sprout. :D

There are plenty of vids on double-bucket container growing for bigger plants, but you should not need that until your plants are established (6-in. to 12-in).  And you may not want to go there at all depending on your situation. 
You can use the same self-draining approach with smaller grows, using window boxes and low-profile planters, etc.
The lure of the double-bucket approach is self watering and less day-to-day maintenance.  For me where I am it worked better to non-pepper stuff.  Nonetheless, Peter S. is a member here, and it was his tutorials on the double-bucket stuff that got me going.  Not to mention he has several vids on tasting wonderful things that people grow/concoct/and send to someone willing to actually eat them.  I am in awe, and am not worthy.  Power on Pete!

Yeah, ginger root - but they're from eBay and they're seeds, so I'm assuming they're probably not actually ginger. I'll find out! I like an experiment every now and again.

Thanks for the tips - I'll check out those tutorials! I'm not looking to have a whole bunch of containers (just a couple of each, hopefully). I wish I could do window boxes but the HOA nixed those in the regulations. A deck box (hanging off the railing) is allowed, though, so I'm going to put some herbs in one. 

Got my little corner all set up in the basement...

tumblr_p4efmoO9r51s3xj43o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p4efmoO9r51s3xj43o1_1280.jpg

I recreated my setup from a couple years ago - shelving unit, dollar store pans, etc - only this time I actually remembered to label everything. I didn't label well the first time I tried starting seeds, so when I transplanted, I had no idea what was what.

I probably need to get a second light, but that'll have to wait till I get paid next week. In the meantime, I'm rotating the trays every day so everybody gets as equal an amount of light as possible.

Chorizo857_62J said:
For some reason I feel like baking some brownies..... :fireball:

Haha! I may have gotten most of my ideas from sites geared towards another type of indoor grow :lol: I spent about a week expecting the DEA to knock at my door.

Unless you're referring to the trays being used for regular brownies, in which case never mind  :P

I lost my password for a while an then promptly forgot I had a glog, but I'm back now!

On March 4th, I moved all my seedlings into slightly larger little pots and transferred everyone over to a bigger shelf. (And bought chives, which promptly died.)
28661324_10211128818961750_3767865714957038135_n.jpg

On March 26th, I put the biggest of the plants in their permanent pots.
29595538_10211296629436907_12372507686943693_n.jpg

On April 7th, more joined the party. (And I started to hate the fact that I had to haul everybody in and out, in and out, because it was still chilly at night.) (And also, my squirrels are jerks.)
29790758_10211347760675156_9139378303855620934_n.jpg

On April 9th, the outside temp was warm enough to leave them out overnight, and I was a nervous mother. (I also bought the romaine and the two pepper plants at the store.)
30531030_10211391198961086_6107527813709955072_n.jpg

On April 10th, I got everyone I was keeping potted up to their grown up pots and organized on the deck.
30628867_10211396032041910_5024418391159472128_n.jpg

Then I bought herbs.
31172066_10211478529864304_2714903223562403840_n.jpg

Then on May 1st I reorganized everyone to work in some new additions.
31719860_10211520111143810_4160584194579234816_n.jpg

Today, my tomatoes (brandywine and cherry) are really tall and thriving. My jalapenos that I started from seed are finally growing. I added a few more seed-started peppers - dragon cayenne, FilFil Baladi, and Tekne Dolmasi - that I bought 4 years ago. I threw them in some seed starting mixture, expecting them to all die, but they sprouted and are growing up quite well!
tumblr_p9jlanzZs11s3xj43o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9jlanzZs11s3xj43o2_1280.jpg

So this is the story of how I turned my back deck into a forest, sort of accidentally as I was planning on only having a couple plants and got a bit carried away.

Muckyai said:
I see some spaces for some more plants. It's addicting!

It is! The only thing holding me back is that I'm now worried my deck will collapse if I add anything else  :lol:

I do have a couple FilFil sprouts that are just now ready to pot... Maybe I'll make an exception to my "Seriously, stop buying plants" rule and pot those.

Back