• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

7-Pot stew?

We've probably all heard that 7-Pot peppers got their name because they're hot enough to "spice 7 pots of stew".  I don't know if that's actually true, but if it is, my question is... what stew?  I imagine it's something original to Trinidad and Tabago.  Has anyone had this stew, know how to make it or have a recipe?  I would love to try it.  Apologies if this topic has been covered already in a different thread,  I searched around a little but couldn't find it. 

Different versions around the Caribbean, Guyanese, Trini, etc.

And you call yourself a chilihead? 

I don't have seven pots to cook with either, but I do have a few big ones.  Was thinking cast iron something deep like a chicken fryer or Dutch oven.  I have some Infinity 7-Pots dried that I grew and I have some 7-Pot Rennie plants up and growing now. 

There's no 5-Pot pepper. And you had one job!

Mr.W said:
I don't have seven pots to cook with either, but I do have a few big ones.  Was thinking cast iron something deep like a chicken fryer or Dutch oven.  I have some Infinity 7-Pots dried that I grew and I have some 7-Pot Rennie plants up and growing now. 
The truth is its all all myth... in the islands people will cook stews and curries with one whole hot pepper pierced to infuse some heat into the meal, and pull it out before serving. So someone said... Yah dat peppa give your tingum hot 7 times. Name stuck lol.

We call them floaters around here. There's a running joke but you guys are too new. Some people will get this lol.

floater.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
We call them floaters around here. There's a running joke but you guys are too new. Some people will get this lol.

That's weird. Maybe that explains this pic.

K8TQRHB.jpg

I don't know why I took that pic, I just know that I posted it right after I entered a TD a while back. That was a weird night. I had easy access to a lot of good, Wisconsin IIPA back then.
     Some of those TD Friday night parties got wierd. hogleg would start cheering, Scovie would take his shirt off, Jay would be conspicuously absent...
     Good times. Good, weird times.

Back