• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Labeling varieties

What do you use to label different plants throughout the various stages? I germinate dirt so popsicle sticks are just mold magnets from my experience. I ended up waiting it out to see what the plants produced last year. I'm curious as to how you all label yours.

I use these from Walmart. $2.87 for 25 of them. They are half inch or so wide by 5 inches long.
3921223abc1e4ca8ec90e2dbf150c853.jpg
f1b85012cb759345c3f0014668530cd8.jpg
26dfabf4d7ebdc019d75825d0a2a3d5d.jpg

I take foil duct tape, cut it into strips, put the strip on the outside of a container, then write on it with a sharpie. A advantage is that the name will for sure (well, reasonably sure) stay with the plant and not have to worry about any mix ups. A disadvantage is that the label is harder to read and I sometimes have to pick up the container to read the label.

I've read about others that have used old window mini blinds and cut them into strips.

Last year was my first year growing. I, too, fell victim to the perils of the fading magic markers. In beds, it is easy enough to plane in a grid and have each bed "mapped" out so you can figure what's what, but I definitely need a new plan for containers/bags, as I tend to move then around based on lighting needs.

Some real good ideas to be found upthread, as far as that goes.

Tape on the outside of the containers for seedlings/young plants

Aluminum or plastic stakes for adult plants

Initially, I make a map of the germination tray in Word, see below.

Once I transplant seedlings to pots, I cut out the squares and use packing tape to adhere them to the pots.

At plant out, I again use Word to make a make maps of the raised beds.

For plants in growbags, I use the Burpee white plant label stakes. I use a hole punch to make a hole near the end, and attach to the growbag handle with a cable tie.

Attachments

• tray map 2018.JPG
    tray map 2018.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 80
The schematic maps are badazz; totally saves the guesswork. I save them to Google docs, and I plan to back'mup on my GLOG. Printing a copy out to bring to the garden with me might be a good idea too

Back