Lacto-fermented chili pepper sauce

I am crazy about making, hacking & inventing all sort of fermented foods. Fermented chili peppers is my latest interest and addiction. Not supper hot but just hot enough & great to enhance anything I eat. And it is so easy to do. So I am here to learn from this hot pepper community.
My favorite is red hot peppers purchased from local farmers market around Sacramento, CA in late October and November when they are abundant and affordable. Remove the green stems and blend quickly in the VitaMix with 30% water by weight, 8% sugar and 4% Himalayan salt of total weight. Ferment in 1/2 gallon Mason jar with 1/3 headspace for about 2 months. I usually shake the jars up  a bit every now and then to get the CO2 bubbles into the headspace. Oh, the Mason jar lids need to close just tight enough to hold pressure, but still allow CO2 gas to release. I can tell how tight by pressing on the lid to feel the pressure. If it's too hard to press, I would back off the lid band a tiny bit. I don't need airlock doing it this way.
Since there is no oxygen, the color is absolutely brilliant red. You would think I added food colors to the sauce. You should try it. It's magically delicious and goes well with everything.
Cheers!

Attachments

• 20171107_100315.jpg
    20171107_100315.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20171007_105638.jpg
    20171007_105638.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 75
Thank you, folks, for such nice welcome!
I will be posting & sharing some of my innovations in the field of Lacto-fermentation of chili peppers and vegetables. My expertise is in controlling oxygen, moisture & pressure of household containers for making & keeping foods & beverages. I am applying what I know to chili sauce making by all natural/raw/probiotic process. That means no use of added vinegar or heating.
I am also looking forward to learning more about hot peppers.

Attachments

• Before I made the Pickle Jar Press #2.jpg
    Before I made the Pickle Jar Press #2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 74
No kimchi.  I do a lot of ferment veggies also.  Always have kimchi on hand.  I already got my baby choi going for this year in the GH.  

My cucs always taste like seltzer water for some reason.  I use about 3 % salt or less even.  I use the old lacto juice to give them a kick start. 

Hi Rairdog,
You may want to try without using old lacto juice to kickstart your cucs.  The reason is there are 2 type of LABs involved in the lacto-fermentation: homofermentative LABs at the onset/early phase to build up acid and then the heterofermentative LABs take over toward the end. Heterofermentative LABs are more CO2 producing bunch.  By adding old lacto juice, you disrupted the normal process which could give rise to undesirable outcome.
Happy fermenting!
KIG.it

Back