• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedling Care Questions - First Time Indoor Grower

hi guys I'm growing peppers indoors for the first time and i have some questions

my first seeds sprouted and i want to make sure i care for the seedlings properly. already I've noticed that one of the seedlings has its seed leaves curling inwards (see pic) onto itself , I'm not sure if this is par for the course or if this is indicative of a problem. i have them in a grow tent with LED lights set 39" above the plants and an oscillating fan going. I've been watering them very lightly with a spray bottle every other day or so as i see the growing media dry out.

if anybody could shed some light id greatly appreciate it! thanks

p.s pic is of a reaper plant not sure if that matters 

best

Huda

Attachments

• IMG_3310.JPG
    IMG_3310.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 89
Hi Yehua

What light are you using out of interest and when you water do the leaves get wet at all?

You don't want to end up scorching them ... wet leaves + LED lighting = problems

IMG7351FILEminimizer.jpg

rickster said:
`put the light down a few inches above the plant. it looks fine

the user manual that came with the light said to be very careful with the seedlings not to have them closer than 36" below the light. I'm scared if i move the light closer it will burn the plant

KAOS said:
Hi Yehua

What light are you using out of interest and when you water do the leaves get wet at all?

You don't want to end up scorching them ... wet leaves + LED lighting = problems

IMG7351FILEminimizer.jpg

I'm using this light : https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-Reflector-Spectrum-Indoor-Plants/dp/B015FLSOCE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519838844&sr=8-1&keywords=viparspectra+450

to be honest i did get the leaves wet when i watered them, is that something i should be avoiding?

You can put the small seedlings inside a mini greenhouse and let them slowly get used to the led growing light inside said mini greenhouse. You can remove the mini greenhouse cover after about one week and let them get the full led growing light power in the distance of about 30"-36" in the beginning.

Hi Hotsaucehuda!

I used that exact same LED array last year and it worked really well. I didn't put my seedlings under it until they had at least a set of true leaves, but that doesn't matter most likely. I'd say everything looks good for now, probably leave it just under the blue light until it has a couple sets of true leaves.

Good luck!

update: seedling dried up and died under the light :cry: . guess it was not ready to be subjected to the lights just yet. any tips for caring for the seedlings in between sprouting and first set of true leaves?

hotsaucehuda said:
update: seedling dried up and died under the light :cry: . guess it was not ready to be subjected to the lights just yet. any tips for caring for the seedlings in between sprouting and first set of true leaves?

You did the mistake to not provide the seedling some air moisture, that is why the mini greenhouse or similar is very important in the beginning and just open the vents in the mini greenhouse and you are good to go.

Chilidude said:

You did the mistake to not provide the seedling some air moisture, that is why the mini greenhouse or similar is very important in the beginning and just open the vents in the mini greenhouse and you are good to go.

ok im going to try doing this. Question, if i keep the vents open in the greenhouse won't the air moisture be the same as it is now? and should i be using the light as soon as the seeds sprout or should i wait? just trying to understand the process. thanks for the help

hotsaucehuda said:

ok im going to try doing this. Question, if i keep the vents open in the greenhouse won't the air moisture be the same as it is now? and should i be using the light as soon as the seeds sprout or should i wait? just trying to understand the process. thanks for the help

No, even if you keep the vents open in the mini greenhouse, still the air moisture in the mini greenhouse stays much higher than the surrounding area and the open vents are providing the seedling the much needed air it needs to grow in the same time.

Back