• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

GMO peppers - anybody know?

Are there any strains of these hottie-totties that have been messed with by the GMO community?  In other words - can I purchase peppers off the shelf and use the seeds for growing?  Of course we know that GMO fruits or vegetables won't reproduce. Any knowledge on the board?

MadMax said:
Are there any strains of these hottie-totties that have been messed with by the GMO community?  In other words - can I purchase peppers off the shelf and use the seeds for growing?  Of course we know that GMO fruits or vegetables won't reproduce. Any knowledge on the board?

the only reason why some genetically engineered plants cant reproduce is for economic reasons- to protect the companies intellectual property from being "copied" by traditional breeding. genetically modified plants for consumer use would likely have no such provisions or non-enforceable provisions like this (now dont you go and copy this CD you just bought). and anyways why do you want a genetically engineered pepper in in the first place? disease resistance? drought tolerance? weird colors? better nutritional value? your post implies that there is some community out there doing cell biology in their garage. there may be large companies developing engineered pepper varieties but for the most part GMO development has a value proposition built in they arent just making engineered plants for the hell of it. 

I have to disagree regarding the "only" reason why someone would GMO a seed is so that the seed won't reproduce.  There's much more to it than the reproduction; however, I'd have to admit that economic reasons probably do span the process.  It might be noted too, that non-GMO foods are very popular for a reason.  I'm not here for debate - I only asked a question which you didn't answer. . . Heirlooms and hybrids reproduce - GMO does not.  There's a whole bunch more to this story.  I simply wanted  to know if I could buy peppers from the store and use the seeds?  I've purchased most of my seeds on the web in the past.  I would be interested in grafting, otherwise, I prefer keeping plants and/or people from being bastardized.  Heck, cloning dogs now - I say, YIKES. . . what next?  Freezing sperm/eggs for the future super-race.

cheers :cheers: 

There are no guarantees unless certified organic but you are safe with most if not all.

GMOs can definitely reproduce... Not all of them can, but most do. One problem you might run into with saving seeds from grocery store chiles is, some producer irradiate their pods so the seeds won't be viable...

To answer your question more directly though, yes, some commonly available grocery peppers are GMO. But, you will likely find that the seeds are good anyway. If you're looking to avoid GMO chiles, best bet is to buy seeds from a reputable seed vendor. If you're only worried about whether or not the grocery's pods will germinate or not though, my best advice is to sow some seeds and see if they work. You don't need to dry the seeds out first; you can go straight from the pods to the dirt to check and see if the seeds are good.

Hth. I wish I could tell you which chiles are most likely to be GMO or not, but with our current laws, there isn't much transparency. I know Bell Peppers from the supermarket are likely to be GMO. I suspect a lot of these Jalapeños these days are, too...

The Hot Pepper said:
I think he means superhots by "hottie-totties" so I based it on that but heck you never know.
That's probably a safe assumption but, like you said, you never know for sure. I never find anything hotter than a Hab "off the shelf" at any of the markets in my area, though. I know that some of you lucky ducks can score Ghosts at your local groceries, so there is that...

OKAY guys. . .  that's what I was looking for. . . Traveling in an RV makes experimenting very laborious and not an option.  I can haul 4 to 6 plants around and be okay.  All my seeds where from reliable sources, or from last years plants.  I want nothing to do with GMO - producing or otherwise.

New Study Finds GMO Corn Makes Rats Infertile
Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/new-study-finds-gmo-corn-makes-rats-infertile/#ixzz58YEP5OHN

haven't tried them yet, but i have almost added them to my shopping cart a few times 

okeaCRf.jpg

The real question is why you haven't yet.

So you are wasting our time with this? THANKS!

Spicy pickles are easy. Put a pod in a jar. I've even put Cajun rub in. Surprisingly good.

There are gmo peppers, I know my buddy worked for the big ag company in the small town we are from. He had sent me a link to one of the seed companies websites, it wasn't Monsanto. But they had quite a bit of gmo peppers. Holy mole was one

:point:
The Hot Pepper said:
So you are wasting our time with this? THANKS!

Spicy pickles are easy. Put a pod in a jar. I've even put Cajun rub in. Surprisingly good.
oh no !   

I wasted time bumping a thread that i originally misread the title of as OMG peppers, which reminded me of the habanero garlic dill pickles i had looked at 

the tragedy 
the time  wasted  whatever will we do?!.
:P

Back