• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Beef Back Ribs are too cheap not to try them

I saw these in the store and bought 3 packs. The price was so low I thought if all else fails I can make broth but I since learned from some Youtubes that these are awesome if cooked like a brisket. There's probably as much bones as meat but it's that good ribeye meat you get when you cook a bone in rib roast. Low and slow for 2.5 hours then wrap and another 1.5 and finally unwrapped for a little more color and set the crust. Guess what I'm doing now?
100_1667.JPG

100_1668.JPG

100_1669.JPG

100_1674.JPG

Thanks!  We do like to eat good food!!!

Change of cook times based on the size, they were cut so it's gonna be a shorter cook. I had to run out for a while and the temp spiked to 275°. The meat is pulling away from the bones a little so I wrapped, I added some beef broth mixed with a little soy and Worcestershire in the foil. Probably only an 1/8 cup to start the steaming process. 

It was all I could do not to chew on at least one bone, it smells like a prime rib cooking.
100_1676.JPG

Those thin ones, if they seem tough, just add a braising liquid to the foil and braise them a bit, like crock potting on the grill... then sear in the end...

They were wrapped for an hour and then set on the grill to crisp up a little.
100_1677.JPG

Took them inside and let rest for 20 minutes before slicing them
100_1678.JPG

These came out great!! Beef Goodness is all I can say. Tender and juicy!! I had to eat one before fixing a plate and I'm surprised how much meat these bones had on them.
I really didn't plan sides so I went with boxed fettuccine and a salad, tomatoes from the greenhouse.
100_1680.JPG

I will be buying these again, tomorrow I'm hitting the store and buying out the display if they still have them.

They look good even good a nice smoke ring, what wood?

This CoonA$$ (with fondness) has presented a beautiful dinner, one after my own heart I might add.  Transparently, I've never been able to get the beef ribs tender enough from the grill.  I need to look up the brazing thing. 

MadMax said:
This CoonA$$ (with fondness) has presented a beautiful dinner, one after my own heart I might add.  Transparently, I've never been able to get the beef ribs tender enough from the grill.  I need to look up the brazing thing. 

Here's all you need to know for tender beef, He's my man crush on smoking. All of his stuff looks awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnLSq1qboe8

Okay, bro - this is a good vid.  I will try this weekend, however, I'm thinking the stores around here have learned to make more money with those side cuts.  Heck, they sell Kobi beef under the name Wagyu.  Getting reasonably priced meat near a megapolis like Houston - cost more to drive and find it.

MadMax said:
Okay, bro - this is a good vid.  I will try this weekend, however, I'm thinking the stores around here have learned to make more money with those side cuts.  Heck, they sell Kobi beef under the name Wagyu.  Getting reasonably priced meat near a megapolis like Houston - cost more to drive and find it.
Good read https://firstwefeast.com/eat/2016/02/debunking-wagyu-beef-myths

MadMax said:

Don't you have a HEB or Fiesta market there? Find a Mexican store or Asian market and see what they have. Just some thoughts but you probably need to plan a trip to buy meat and load up when you find a deal.

I'm sure some Texas guys will chime in on where to score good deals. 

You have to go to the butcher and ask for plate ribs. If you really want dinosaur ribs. Each rib is like a steak. You cook 1-2 at a time that's how big they are.

The Hot Pepper said:

Very, very good read - dang, I learned a bunch more than I "thought" I knew. . .  If you go by the marbling, you can get a prime cut that is comparable and a whole bunch more affordable than the Wagyu.  Now that I know what it means - Japanese cow. . . . LOL  Sorry folks, halfway in to this response - I will try the Fiesta - the HEB, while real good, is very expensive.  I don't know how they do things, demography or whatever to bring in certain meats and prices as well.  But Fiesta would probably have the goods.

Back