• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

D3monic's crosses - F3 and F4 testing

Admin: we have a separate thread for this, but it's 56 pages long already. I have over 30+ crosses to review in the next few weeks (45 plants, most have pods) so i figured I'll spam the hell out of the main thread with this, instead I'm hoping it'll be ok for me to log everything in this post and I'll link to it from the main thread. Please let me know if I should move this somewhere.

Summary will be updated as I go, full size pics will be posted as replies:

El Scorpenero F3 Plant 1
pepper1.png

• Appearance: Cayenne-like, but more bumpy. Most pods are approx 50mm / 2" long. Slightly twisted.
  • Colour: Peach
  • Heat: Roughly 700K-1M (my best guess, it's substantially hotter than a scotch bonnet but feels slightly milder than a Dorset naga). Heat lasts only approx 2 minutes. Instant kick, then it calms down relatively quickly.
  • Flavour/texture: the skin is a bit thick and chewy, brief initial bitterness but it went away afterwards. Not much taste itself apart from a subtle chinense-ish fruity taste.

El Scorpenero Red #2 F3 Plant #8
number-8-300.jpg

• Appearance: pretty massive, just over 3" / 75mm long. Doesnt look that gnarly, which made me assume it wasnt that hot. Man was I mistaken.
  • Colour: Darkish red - IRL it look a bit darker than in this pic.
  • Heat: I'd say it's a solid 1M SHU. It's relatively quick to build up, pretty intense throat burn, goes on for at least 5 minutes. Very surprising given how harmless it looks, and also something of this size, you just dont expect it to be this hot.
  • Flavour/texture: Not as strong as your regular chinense smell, but you can still tell it. Smells almost sweet. Juicy as hell, the walls are thick as. No bitter taste at all, the taste is not overpowering but not too weak either. Very sweet, i almost wished it wasnt that intensely hot so I could eat more of it. I think this is probably one of the best tasting peppers I've tried. So the combination of nutty heat, heaps of actual pepper to eat and such awesome taste - dude you gotta grow this into an F4, this is amazing.

El Scorpenero Red #2 F3 Plant #1
number-1-300.jpg

• Appearance: Looks pretty average, like a Dorset Naga that's been crossed with an annuum.
  • Colour: about the same as the one above, maybe slightly paler but still pretty dark red.
  • Heat: I'd say between 300-500K or so. Probably a bit hotter than your average scotch bonnet. Dissipates quickly though but with some throat burn too.
  • Flavour/texture: Very bitter, surirpising how different it is flavour-wise compared to Plant #8. The walls are a bit thinner too so not much meat in it. I personally wouldn't bother with this one.

SentencedToBurn said:
El Scorpenero Red #2 F3 Plant #8

2018-03-17_16.48.53.jpg

2018-03-17_16.49.01.jpg

2018-03-17_16.51.05.jpg

El Scorpenero Red #2 F3 Plant #1

2018-03-17_16.59.51.jpg

2018-03-17_17.01.58.jpg

I'll def take seeds from #8 sounds a lot like the red pheno I saved it from. Made some amazing smoked flakes. My favorite in rotation. Really good on pizza ect. 

El Scorpenero F3 Orange Plant #3

• Quick heat roughly 200-300K, seems to be one of the hotter Orange phenos
  • Not bitter with subtle taste, not much chinense taste or smell
2018-03-24_12.04.03.jpg

Devil's Prick F3 Plant #7

• Initial bitterness
  • Not much flavour
  • Low heat - definitely under 100K, went down really quickly
2018-03-24_12.13.23.jpg

El Scorpenero Orange F3 Plant #4

• Very low heat - hard to detect any
  • Very low flavour
  • Looks awesome but that's about it
2018-03-24_12.22.14.jpg

D3 Goat Giant F4 Plant #8

• Initial bitterness, then quick chinense flavour which soon dissipates
  • Very hot although starts slow, takes at least 1-2 minutes to build up. Feels like a good 1M SHU. Was pretty full on
2018-03-24_12.27.09.jpg

El Scorpenero F3 Orange Plant #6

• Not bitter
  • Very subtle taste, wished it was stronger tasting
  • Almost no heat
(Looks like I forgot to take a pic, but its in the video)

El Scorpenero Red #2 F3 Plant #5

• Low heat
  • Great taste - lightly sweet. Similar to Red #2 Plant 8 that i've reviewed last week, but the flavour or heat isnt as awesome.
2018-03-24_12.44.17.jpg

D3 Goat Giant F4 Plant #2

• Really meaty
  • A lot of taste - slight bitterness at the start then goes away
  • Slow with building heat, similar to Giant Goat Plant #8, I'd say 1M SHU, lasted for a while
  • Good after taste
2018-03-24_12.50.15.jpg

El Scorpenero Red #2 F3 Plant #2

• Good taste
  • Quick heat spike then goes to mild
  • Taste hangs around for a while after the heat goes down
  • The only yellow pheno of Red #2 that I've got (out of approx 10 plants that I had of this)
2018-03-24_12.58.43.jpg

Devil's Prick F3 Plant #4

• Low bitterness
  • Unique flavour - hard to describe what it was
  • Low heat
2018-03-24_13.06.58.jpg

El Scorpenero F3 Orange Plant 8

• Awesome colour - almost see through
  • Good flavour, not as sweet as El Scorpenero red phenos but still very nice
  • Weak heat and doesn't last too long
2018-03-24_13.14.44.jpg

2018-03-24_13.15.36.jpg

D3 Goat Giant F4 Plant #1

• Similar chinense bitterness at the start, although maybe even a bit stronger than the rest
  • Medium heat, not as hot as the previous 2 Giant Goats
2018-03-24_13.22.49.jpg

El Scorpenero Orange F3 Plant #21

• Massive amount of pods on the plant for it's size
  • Orange-yellow colour
  • Good initial taste, lasting flavour
  • Heat could roughly be between 100-200K but lasts for a while
2018-03-24_13.48.58.jpg

20180324_133133.jpg

El Scorpenero F3 Orange Plant #5

• Brief sweet taste that goes away quickly
  • Low heat
2018-03-24_13.53.08.jpg

D3 Goat F4 Giant Plant #15

• Fast heat with no build up, not as hot as previous Giant Goats
  • Good initial taste
2018-03-24_14.00.22.jpg

Ok the next 10 crosses. Video is being uploaded as we speak - will attach it to the main thread.

D3 Goat Giant F4 Plant 6
  • Bitter taste at the start but goes away afterwards
  • Good heat, 1M+, throat burn, etc
  • Sweet taste, fruity flavour of some kind, great flavour
  • Seemed to look overripenned but its only been ripe for just over a week so not sure why that is.
2018-03-31_12.53.01.jpg

Devil's Prick F3 Plant 1
  • 200-300K heat
  • Good flavour - seems to retain that earthy flavour as well as an annuum taste to it
  • The shape is good
2018-03-31_13.00.13.jpg

El Scorpenero Red #2 Plant 19
  • Mild heat
  • Awesome taste - totally got the sour taste, during the review couldnt work out the flavour, but looks like the sour apple flavour has made a comeback. If this was a bit hotter would be amazing. And look at the shape! This is a kick ass pepper, just need to get a pheno that's hotter.
2018-03-31_13.07.08.jpg

Devil's Prick F3 Plant 5
  • Very little heat
  • Bitterness from chinense with the earthy taste but not the nice variant
  • Probably wouldn't bother unless you want to make a pepper for LOLs
2018-03-31_13.20.56.jpg

D3 Goat Pale Yellow F4 Plant 7
  • Pretty mild, very surprising that its not insanely hot
  • Good flavour, but the smell made it feel like it was gonna be very very hot. The flavour itself is relatively generic, nothing stands out but is pleasant.
  • Looks great
2018-03-31_13.26.39.jpg

2018-03-31_13.26.44.jpg

El Scorpenero Red #2 Plant 7
  • Flavour is pretty average, about half way on the scale of what some good El Scorp Red ones have
  • Low heat
  • Pretty chewy
2018-03-31_13.38.04.jpg

El Scorpenero Orange F3 Plant 17
  • Flavour isnt that great
  • Pretty much no heat
  • Very similar to last week's lemon one where it just looked cool unfortunately
2018-03-31_13.45.57.jpg

El Scorpenero Red #2 F3 Plant 6
  • Generic flavour
  • A bit of heat, maybe 200K or so, hard to say.
  • Nothing special about this one
2018-03-31_13.56.48.jpg

El Scorpenero Orange F3 Plant 7
  • The first coupel of ripe pods dont look like the rest, the rest look almost bean-like with bumpy chinense texture.
  • Flavour is very different, not sure if you've tried fejoas, but it smells like it and flavour definitely reminded me of a fejoa, nuts this one. Heat is ok too, nothing ground breaking. But the flavour is a total oddity.
  • I reckon this is one of the most different as far
  • Pics below of the ripe one and of the green ones
2018-03-31_16.05.08.jpg

2018-03-31_16.12.25.jpg

El Scorpenero Orange F3 Plant 19
  • Sudden heat but then goes away very quickly
  • Flavour is a bit meh
  • Probably wouldn't bother with this one
2018-03-31_16.12.56.jpg

i'm pretty drunk so I need to come back to this tomorrow but the following two out of the group looked and sounded like keepers. 

I like the shape and color, could use a good citrusy version. 

i've never had fejoa but google says its a evergreen that tastes sort of like guava and pineapple. Sounds pretty tasty. Would probably make a good sauce. I'll def take seeds of that one. 

I'll revisit the video tomorrow when i'm soberish and see if there's anything I missed.  Thanks for taking the time to do such thorough reviews. 

D3monic said:
i'm pretty drunk so I need to come back to this tomorrow but the following two out of the group looked and sounded like keepers. 

I like the shape and color, could use a good citrusy version. 

i've never had fejoa but google says its a evergreen that tastes sort of like guava and pineapple. Sounds pretty tasty. Would probably make a good sauce. I'll def take seeds of that one. 

I'll revisit the video tomorrow when i'm soberish and see if there's anything I missed.  Thanks for taking the time to do such thorough reviews. 

Hey no probs man, I've got all the seeds drying, so take your time and let me know if you want me to send anything else.

I have a few more coming up, possibly ready for next weekend - I know it's getting a bit late but will see there might be something cool left over.

Back