• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Carolina Reaper drying up.

I repotted my reapers into a larger pot. I had them outside yesterday. It never got above 75* outside here in Texas yesterday. I came home and they look done. Just dried up like a old nasty tater biscuit. I watered them good after I transplanted them. The soil is still damp. They don’t look overwatered, they look dried up and the leaves are shriveled and falling off. Any ideas? Appreciate any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pepper plants can and will wilt from being put in direct sunlight if they are not used to it. Did you gradually introduce them to sunlight or go straight from Indoors to full sunlight? Full direct sunlight all day is normally too much for most varieties even after they get used to it a bit. It's good to have them in a place where they get some shade throughout the day, or where they only receive early morning or late evening direct light.

Mid day sun, especially down south will cook pepper plants.

Not a good idea to leave them out in the sun just after repotting - figure you kill off some roots when repotting and then add the stress of placing them in direct sunlight for hours and even with some water in the soil it can be too much for them - best to keep them indoors or at least in the shade for a few days after repotting and then slowly introduce them to the sun over a week or so increasing the amount of time in the sun each day.

04cobraboy said:
That’s definitely what it is. I’m gonna trim them up and let them come back. I appreciate it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't trim them if you don't have to. You'll stress them even more. The wilted leaves will come back as long as they didn't get dry and crispy.

The folks comment about the direct sunlight are correct - not good to move directly unless they are already "hardened" or used to that.

ALSO - be sure the soil/medium you are potting the transplants in a pretty clean of everything chemicals/bug juice/fertlizer. I do not grow organic but I can tell you a tip based on may headaches on my side - until those transplants get a good 6 - 8" they are EASY to kill. Once above that, you pretty much can't kill 'em if you tried, you can top 'em give them massive nitrogen shots whatever . . all is good. Just take care of them when little, they can be VERY capricious.

Last year I had Scorpions, Reapers and Ghost plants about 6 foot tall and big as my car. 100 lbs of peppers off each (really, not a just a" Texas" tale, my neighbours were tired of me bring grocery sacks of hot peppers over to them from June till November) and two of the plants are alive again this year after a decent freeze, a a bit of a "trim". However - when they were sprouting ant transplant size - they are like babies. and you can very easily kill them. Be careful, and they will return the favour.

John

Back