• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Carolina Reaper (germination time) ?

I've ordered a dozen Carolina Reaper seeds online from a local seed dealer that seemed reputable. I've left them soaking for almost a day, then planted them in pots with a seed-starting mix, watered well and placed them in a mini greenhouse.

First seed started germinating a bit over a week after sowing. Few days later, half of the seeds have germinated. Now, I've read from multiple sources that C.R. takes weeks, even a month and over to germinate.

Judging by germination speed alone, is it likely that I got the wrong seeds? Should I just pinch everything or give it the benefit of the doubt?

Thank you all in advance. It's a very nice forum you have here!  :hot:

Since you've already sprouted them and if you have the room to grow them out why not grow them out? If you don't have the room that's another story. I assume you have a long growing season, correct me if I'm wrong. If correct about the length of your growing season start some new ones and compare the two.

Carolina Reaper seeds may indeed take a month or more to germinate, but that does not mean that they won't germinate faster. It just means that you should give Carolina Reaper seeds, and every Capsicum Chinense cultivar, more time before calling them dead.

But it won't harm to get a few more seeds from another source and germinate some of them as a back-up. ;)

Lots of variables - The method you used (soaking for several hours to allow them plenty of time to absorb the water they need to start the process) and then placing them in the proper environment ( Nice warm High humidity area that the Greenhouse provided) will definitely help shorten the time it takes to germinate them - Also having fresh seed stock (which you probably had if you got them from a local reputable seed vendor )

So 1 week or so is probably plenty of time to start the germination under ideal conditions -- they take longer if you are using older seed stock - do not soak long enough - place in too cold or too low humidity - etc. etc. to get them to start growing.

I started the following seeds simultaneously in paper towels:

• [SIZE=12pt]Jalapeno[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Serrano[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Turkish Hot Paprika[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Cayenne[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Cayenne Purple[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Prik Khi Nu[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Piri-Piri[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Orange Habanero[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Jamaican Hot Chocolate[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Peruvian White Habanero[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Swiss Hot Chocolate[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Paper Lantern Habanero[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Scotch Bonnet MOA[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Papa Drearie Scotch Bonnet[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Bahamian Goat[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Chocolate Habanero[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Carribean Red Habanero[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Red Savina Habanero[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]El Scorponero Orange F3[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Devil's Prickle F3[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Bhut Jolokia White[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Bhut Jolokia Chocolate[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Trinidad Moguga Scorpion[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Carolina Reaper[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Feher Paprika from Lidl[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]The Carolina Reaper seeds were the second to pop roots, after the Jalapenos, Serranos, Turkish Paprikas and Cayennes who pretty much popped on the same day. Carolina Reapers popped their roots a day later.

My seeds are from PepperSeeds.eu so if you got yours from them, fast germination seems to be normal.
[/SIZE]

Back