• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Edible nightshades?

What are your favorite edible nightshades/which are you growing?
Outside of the common ones like tomatoes/peppers/etc.

They're pretty foreign to me, but I'm growing ground cherries this year and thinking about pulling the trigger on seeds for tubocapsicum anomalum

Hi, I'm also trying ground cherries for the first time.

I'm Growing Aunt Molly's and Goldie and hoping for the best. Lot of good reviews on ground cherries, so I'm surprised more people don't grow them. Maybe they are like IPA beer, some people love it and some don't (yeah, I love IPA). 

1 c fresh sweet corn (or canned if need be)
1/4 c finely diced mixed hot and sweet peppers
1/2 c ground cherries sliced in half
butter 
salt & pepper, to taste

Melt that butter in a large skillet.  Toss in the corn and peppers, stirring until done(a minute or so).   Add the ground cherries and stir just until hot.  S&P to taste.

+1/4 c frozen peas is a good variation if you like peas!

I will be trying to get a schwartzbeeren
Patch going this year. It is a little berry my great grandma used to grow. Our ancestors brought them to Kansas from the Volga river area in Russia.

Last year I grew Solanum caripense, Solanum quitoense, and Solanum muricatum. Favorite of the 3 was the quitoense. Plant just looks wicked.
The aniomalum looks interesting. Wondering if it has any cross compatibility with capsicum.

I've got quite a few ground cherry seedlings now and I picked up a goji berry plant at Ace today. I definitely didn't expect to see it there. A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

Dane said:
Last year I grew Solanum caripense, Solanum quitoense, and Solanum muricatum. Favorite of the 3 was the quitoense. Plant just looks wicked.
The aniomalum looks interesting. Wondering if it has any cross compatibility with capsicum.
I couldn't really find anything online so that may be something to test. I'll probably order seeds and try to start it this year, but I don't expect fruit.
Also, those look super interesting! I may have to look into a couple of them.

I think I have seed for the first 2 if your interested. the pepino melon never ripened for me so none of those.
Where are you finding seeds for the anomalum?

So my ground cherry quickly surpassed most of my peppers in vegetation and all of them in production. It can't be a foot tall and it's only a couple feet wide, but almost all of the branches are covered in little husks. I've had a couple fall to the ground, so I did a little taste test, but I've heard that they're better if you let them ripen further off the vine. I'll try that next.

FPO6juo.jpg

I put some of my goji berries through a hole in the bottom of a bucket and they're doing better than before, especially considering they sent shoots out of the top of the bucket too. They're doing pretty well

Hey yall. what are ground cherries? 

I've grown otricoli berry before. It's an orange edible variety of black nightshade. Grows stupid fast. Overgrew a 7 gal bucket in a couple months. Waterloss through transpiration actually did it in because I couldn't water it often enough last summer (got so big it needed to be watered twice a day). The little fruits were good but strong. I liked a handful in spaghetti sauce but otherwise it was hard to find a use for them. 

Walchit gave me some shwartzbeen that I just remembered I had after reading this, so I'll sow those this week and see what I can do with them. 

Growing some mainstram nightshades too. tomato, potato, pepper of course. 

I'm pretty interested by wild varieties and rarer capsicums. Had a whole 72 tray of wilds this year but ended up dropping them and had no idea what was what. Those anomalums are pretty rad. Gunna save the link and check them out for next year. 

I'm also growing ground cherries.  Last year the bugs loved to eat them before I had a chance.  At least they left the peppers alone.  I'm going to try to be more defensive this year.

I also got some tree tomato seeds, yellow and red.  I'll be starting those later on for next season though, as I ordered them pretty late this year.  Anyone have experience with tree tomato?  Also called Tamarillo, Solanum betaceum.

peppamang said:
Hey yall. what are ground cherries? 

I've grown otricoli berry before. It's an orange edible variety of black nightshade. Grows stupid fast. Overgrew a 7 gal bucket in a couple months. Waterloss through transpiration actually did it in because I couldn't water it often enough last summer (got so big it needed to be watered twice a day). The little fruits were good but strong. I liked a handful in spaghetti sauce but otherwise it was hard to find a use for them. 

Walchit gave me some shwartzbeen that I just remembered I had after reading this, so I'll sow those this week and see what I can do with them. 

Growing some mainstram nightshades too. tomato, potato, pepper of course. 

I'm pretty interested by wild varieties and rarer capsicums. Had a whole 72 tray of wilds this year but ended up dropping them and had no idea what was what. Those anomalums are pretty rad. Gunna save the link and check them out for next year. 
Ground cherries, aka cape gooseberries I believe. To me, if you just eat them straight out of the husk right after they ripen and fall off, it's like a sweet/fruity cherry tomato. Mine are growing and producing surprisingly well considering the plant was started after all my peppers and it's only in a 2ish gallon burlap bag.

I'm growing Aunt Molly's and Goldie ground cherries. I have about 8 plants total. The Aunt Molly's have been the most prolific for me. The photo is of 4 plants of Aunt Molly's and a basketball for reference.

AndyW, Mine are much lower growing than yours. Which variety did you grow?

These have been a good addition to the garden and I will definitely try them again next year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180708-085111.png
    Screenshot_20180708-085111.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
I have an actual bittersweet nightshade that is a weed. I plan on letting it live so I can plant the seeds next year. Its actually pretty cool. I might hybridize it with a tomato or a potato just to see the outcome

Rockandrollin said:
I'm growing Aunt Molly's and Goldie ground cherries. I have about 8 plants total. The Aunt Molly's have been the most prolific for me. The photo is of 4 plants of Aunt Molly's and a basketball for reference.

AndyW, Mine are much lower growing than yours. Which variety did you grow?

These have been a good addition to the garden and I will definitely try them again next year.
I'm growing Aunt Molly from Baker's Creek, I believe. I actually checked with a ruler and it's exactly a foot from soil to highest point, but the main stem is only a few inches tall.

Back