• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Suggestions wanted for milder flavorful peppers (mole like?)

I am a little new to being serious about peppers.  Although I have eaten them for years, it was not until about 4 years ago that I heard about & fell in love with the ancho/poblano.  I call them my spicy raisins.  Then I tried cooking my first mole and I was hooked.

Looking for suggestions for other milder flavorful peppers (mole like?).  I love anchos, pasilla negros and similar.  Looking to expand my experience by tring and maybe eventually growing more varieties.  Interested in fresh or dried versions.

What others would you suggest I try?

It’s good to see someone interested in the “edible” varieties of peppers. If you do a little research, you will find that there are many varieties of jalapeno peppers, from no heat to fairly “snappy”. My personal go to in the milder spectrum are cherry bombs. Also you could try some of the “hatch chili peppers” like the various Big Jims, etc. Anyway, have fun growing some chilis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puya chiles are tasty when dry; haven't had the chance to sample a fresh pod yet. Kinda like Guajillos but spicier, and fewer of those tobacco flavor bikes that I like so much.

But yeah, Chili dude beat me to it, but as i read the OP, the first chile that came to mind was the Guajillo. Just an absolute classic mild Mexican chile, for sure.

I like the big raisiny ones but here's one you may not have thought of: Jamaican Hot Chocolate. Excellent earthy smoky profile with heat (habanero heat, don't let is scare you, you don't have to use a lot). Thick for a hab, dry per normal and use pod or powder. Mole, chili, BBQ, even pizza and pasta. It has a naturally smoky profile that will remind you a bit of chipotle without the smoking involved.

Check out dundicut peppers, I haven't grown em, nor tried fresh

But the dried ones I've tried have a almost coffee like flavor that might fit the profile you are seeking

They're not as hot as the iterwebs make them out to be, very usable heat level IMO

Ethiopian Brown

The few Sandia Selects from midwestchilihead i was able to dry made a super tasty powder too. I mixed it with some dried ripe jalapeno which were really sweet but still hot. Hopefully i will get enough this year to try sun drying which i strongly prefer in flavor. Last year the Lumbre i was able to sun dry were great but quite a bit hotter than the Sandia.

Oh yeah and dried they have a raisiny character, good choice.

The Hot Pepper said:
I like the big raisiny ones but here's one you may not have thought of: Jamaican Hot Chocolate. 
That is one I'm growing this year for sure , its one of the best tasting peppers with a perfect amount of heat that packs a good punch. 

SavinaRed said:
That is one I'm growing this year for sure , its one of the best tasting peppers with a perfect amount of heat that packs a good punch. 

Right? I feel like it's some sort of sleeper pepper... I don't see it come up a lot but it's in my top 5, and my fave one for powder.

Back