• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Plastic Bottles

Hi all,

Does anyone here use plastic bottles for their sauces? I'm thinking of trying it out due to the fact that my trial run of mail order has resulted in a trial run of people receiving a soggy cardboard boxes full of glass shards!

I know it's possible to get plastic bottles you can hot fill, but I'd imagine the temp can't be nearly as high as when I hot fill glass bottles.

Cheers,
Tom

It's not a problem when you have lots of money. Sriracha does it, they make them on site from what look like test tubes and have machinery to blow hot air and mold them, and fill. When you don't have a lot of money you can run into more issues than with glass.

Pro tip: Pack your boxes better.

I get a lot of sauces through the mail and usually wrapping each bottle in large bubble wrap and filling in any extra empty space with packing peanuts or extra bubble wrap will be more than enough. Those 5oz bottles are a lot more durable than you would think.

I've been looking at that myself. I think I can capture a ready made niche for my products (jails and prisons) for the workers of course.... Most (probably all) do not allow the importation of glass into the environment - so it's all plastic. I'm not there yet but do have plans to explore the plastic option further.. Absent this target audience, I wouldn't even consider it.

Just food for thought but this is one of the sauces I bought today and it's in a plastic bottle. Granted, it's a "moonshine" hot sauce and it's playing on the the little shot bottles that booze come in but I think it would be a cool idea for any sauce.

Back