• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Swahili inspired paste

So when i was a kid my dad used to bring home this pepper and oil paste called swahili pepper sauce. I dont think it was very authentic but its had amazing flavours. It was a mix of dried pepper flakes, spices, salt and olive oil. I wish a new what spices were in it but i dont.

I decided to have a go and see if I could recreate something similar but with a bit more tang/bite. 

Ingredients: 

- fermented, then dehydrated pepper mash
- smoked pepper flakes
- pepper powder
- a pinch of garlic powder
- 1/4 of a pinch of cumin
- a pinch of corriander
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of paprika
- olive oil

Directions:

simply add all dry ingredients in a bowl, slowly pour some olive oil in while stirring until it is a think mash. Add more pepper flakes/powder to get the constancy you want. Let sit overnight on counter, then its ready to eat. threw some on my eggs this morning... let just say ill be making more tonight. I will probably only be making small batches as I dont think its very shelf stable. I will probably even through in some fermented mash to give it some extra tang at some point. The peppers i used were mostly birds eyes with some powdered super hots and aji mixed in.

Gilthefish said:
So when i was a kid my dad used to bring home this pepper and oil paste called swahili pepper sauce. I dont think it was very authentic but its had amazing flavours. It was a mix of dried pepper flakes, spices, salt and olive oil. I wish a new what spices were in it but i dont.

I decided to have a go and see if I could recreate something similar but with a bit more tang/bite. 

Ingredients: 

- fermented, then dehydrated pepper mash
- smoked pepper flakes
- pepper powder
- a pinch of garlic powder
- 1/4 of a pinch of cumin
- a pinch of corriander
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of paprika
- olive oil

Directions:

simply add all dry ingredients in a bowl, slowly pour some olive oil in while stirring until it is a think mash. Add more pepper flakes/powder to get the constancy you want. Let sit overnight on counter, then its ready to eat. threw some on my eggs this morning... let just say ill be making more tonight. I will probably only be making small batches as I dont think its very shelf stable. I will probably even through in some fermented mash to give it some extra tang at some point. The peppers i used were mostly birds eyes with some powdered super hots and aji mixed in.

Sounds very similar to what I make once a month for my noodle supply.
Only thing I dont add is Correander. Good stuff! I like to use chocolate Ghost Peppers for this. So good on my noodles!

Back