• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

How to make sauce hotter???

I just made a nice sauce with pineapples peaches vinegar water and habaneros. For 40 ounces total liquid by volume I used 6 orange habaneros. I thought this would be spicy (comes down to .75 habaneros per 5 oz woozie.) but it really is just a mild-medium sauce. There is some heat at the end of you use a lot, its more like a spicy sauce than a hot sauce. The flavor is spot on. How do I make this hotter without adjusting other ingredients? I thought maybe double the habaneros (1.5 per 5 ounce woozie) or mix in X (fill in the blank) teaspoons of ghost pepper powder? Add some red jalapenos? Thank you. I want it hot but not stupid hot and still focusing on flavor not just insane heat.

I'd keep adding a single Hab, then blend it up again. Keep going until you reach the heat level you're after. Or you could try adding your powder, maybe 1/2 tsp at a time. Increase as needed

Edit: or use hotter peppers next time

Either way, the heat is eventually going to impact the flavor, once you get to a certain point

Ive been blending everything up then cooking 15 min the bottling. Does cooking it release more spiciness or can I add more peppers and taste test it prior to cook to get a good idea?

MikeUSMC said:
I'd keep adding a single Hab, then blend it up again. Keep going until you reach the heat level you're after. Or you could try adding your powder, maybe 1/2 tsp at a time. Increase as needed

Edit: or use hotter peppers next time

Either way, the heat is eventually going to impact the flavor, once you get to a certain point
So...hotter peppers will make the sauce hotter??? Interesting.

Hothotsauce said:
I just made a nice sauce with pineapples peaches vinegar water and habaneros. For 40 ounces total liquid by volume I used 6 orange habaneros. I thought this would be spicy (comes down to .75 habaneros per 5 oz woozie.) but it really is just a mild-medium sauce. There is some heat at the end of you use a lot, its more like a spicy sauce than a hot sauce. The flavor is spot on. How do I make this hotter without adjusting other ingredients? I thought maybe double the habaneros (1.5 per 5 ounce woozie) or mix in X (fill in the blank) teaspoons of ghost pepper powder? Add some red jalapenos? Thank you. I want it hot but not stupid hot and still focusing on flavor not just insane heat.
Couple of suggestions for you. Instead of counting the peppers, weigh them. Your on the right path. Weigh all your ingredients so you can easily replicate your sauce. Next time, just increase your peppers or as Mile said, use hotter peppers.

Back