• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Food Processor

I have a 10 cup food processer by Hamilton beach, but I was wondering what you all use. Maybe something that gets the job done more efficiently? Thanks in advance. Just trying to cut down on the production time

If you don't use the slicer or shredder plates, BlendTec refurbished blenders are a good option.  I've found the BlendTec does a better job of getting a sauce really smooth.  Better than a Ninja.

jhc said:
Which model?
I have this one, but it's a few years old (2014-15?). My wife uses the cup attachments daily to make breakfast shakes. We've never had a problem with it. Never had to replace anything. I use the food processor to chop for my ferments, the blender for sauces, and the different size cups/glasses for grinding up dried pods into powder/flakes

IMG_6297.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/Nutri-Blender-System-Auto-iQ-BL682/dp/B00RZV3THS

Looks like it's only $200 now. I think it was around $300 when we bought it

I no longer use blenders.

Food processors.

Robo coups. 

I buy cheapass metal bowls from Wally World.

And then use a boat motor stick.

For ever thang else.

I have a KitchenAide mixer.

Breville Sous Chef here also.  Great machine. 

I have been eyeing the Fleetwood blender from Skyfood for some time though. Any one have experience with it? 

fleetwood-2-gal-blender-3-500-rpm-1-2hp-stainless-steel-seamless-container-9.jpg

emanphoto said:
Watching this thread.  

Anything I get has to be 220V tho, as Thailand and all that.  Robot Coupe brand is available here but the addition of duties and taxes make it REALLY too expensive for me.  
What do people think of food mills?

I have been looking at food mills but even those are pricey as all get out.  
This model is equivalent of $240 USD here  
http://www.pujadas.es/en/productes/kitchen_1-vegetable_sieve_202-info.htm

I love the food mill for certain application.  Food mills work best with cooked sauces or soups -or a fermented sauce where the fermentation has broken down the produce-, so more of the pulp can get smooshed through.  I don't like a lot of seeds in a sauce (just a personal preference), the food mill is excellent for removing most of the seeds and getting the pulp through.  For about $30 on amazon, you can get a stainless steel unit with 3 different screens, simpler ones for $20.  I've found them at the thrift stores for a couple bucks.  The one in the link above looks like it has a pretty small bottom area, it would take longer to work the pulp through such a small sieve.

Food Mill-

Ninja/VitaMix/Etc Food processors offer more jobs in one package.  blend, slice, dice, puree....
Having done side-by-side tests with the Ninja and BlendTec on sauces, the BlendTec gets the sauce waaaay smoother than the Ninja blender.  The Ninja, still does pretty good compared to regular blenders, but not as good as the BlendTec.  But the BlendTec is just a blender, and the Ninja has the food processor bowls for slicing chopping.  More Options in the Box with the Ninja.  For the single option of a smooth sauce blender...BlendTec. 

Or- you could blitz the sauce in the Ninja and run it through a food mill to get the seeds out.  ;)
Lots of options~~~
:)

Side Note- if you run some sauce through the food mill and end up with some nice looking tailings, dry the tailings and mix with some salt and other herbs and spices.  Especially fun if the tailings are from a fermented sauce.  Maybe put the salt, tailings and herbs in a grinder jar.

Have Fun!
SL

Right now I'm doing a combination of immersion blender and food mill. Blender leaves the seeds behind and some pepper skins and other things that don't fully break down. But there's no way I'm getting a mash through my food mill without blending it some beforehand. Even one I fermented for two months.

Back