• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds stakes with seedlings

Hi i noticed alot of people put wooded stakes or sticks in with there chillies. Is this to help support the stem or does it help with knowing when to water?

Doesn't have anything to do with knowing when to water them.. Seedlings are weak so even a moderate wind can knock them over and cause damage or death. Staking them also helps support them when they're mature and loaded with pods. I use wood kabob skewers for my seedlings.

Chilidude said:
You do not have enough growing light power if you have to start supporting seedlings.

Gilthefish said:
Hi i noticed alot of people put wooded stakes or sticks in with there chillies. Is this to help support the stem or does it help with knowing when to water?

OP never mentioned seedlings? Oooppps, it's in the title - sorry ChiliDude!

I use stakes for a few reasons. The first is to hold my 5 gal. pail handles upright between the branches of my pepper plants as they grow, learned early on it's difficult to lift a water soaked pot with handle at a 45° angle.
`
`As Edmick posted, the second is I tie the plant to the stake because even past seedling stage the plant can be damaged.
`
`
EeqsH85.jpg

`
`And again noting Edmicks post, supporting those heavily laden branches is important.
`
`
s7KbkG9.jpg

`
`Or your plant will look like this.
`
`
home-design.jpg

If we are not talking about seedlings, then i use a thicker jute twine and string them up inside the greenhouse like you would with cucumber or tomato.

depending on species some of them like to flop all over. 

and yeah when they get loaded with fruit they will need some support.

so yeah stakes are good.

Back