• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My pepper plants growing very slow

Hello everyone, I started some peppers from seeds in january and most of the hotter variety are staying small and bushy. My jalapenos and cayennes seem to be growing best. Some of the plants have bumpy leaves, some have yellowish leaves. I feed some hydro through the bottoms of their cup. The rooms temperture they stay in is always around 60, and im not using any powerful lighting. If anyone could help me using any of the info iv given that would be great.

LED are cheaper to run than halogen...also 60F is not warm..it will also slow down the growth. Can you bring them inside the house where it's warmer?

Otherwise they might not grow a lot but they will kick again at full speed when you bring them outside for the next summer!

Most guys who overwinter don't really expect much growing to happen until next summer.

Well lol their inside but i have to keep them in my closet due to space and im not sure why but my closet stays chilly compared to my room which stays in the 75-85 range

Best i can do for now is add 5 led bulbs over the plants thats all i can find laying around to add. 2 of the bulbs put off a more yellow light and the other 3 are very bright white

Bowman10117 said:
Best i can do for now is add 5 led bulbs over the plants thats all i can find laying around to add. 2 of the bulbs put off a more yellow light and the other 3 are very bright white

get a shop light from homedepot / lowes, led or t8 flourescent is ok.

Buy something like a Viparspectra 450W and be done with it https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-Reflector-Spectrum-Indoor-Plants/dp/B015FLSOCE/ The 450W is the equivalent HPS/MH that its suppose to replace, it should draw half that. Build one if you really want to, but for $130 you cant really beat it. Youll spend close to that building an equivalent one.
I havent hooked mine up to a killawatt, but the electricity cost is insignificant. Depending how big/many plants you have, you may want a larger light. The one I linked is good for maybe 2-3 plants depending on size. 

My plants are in a south facing window and I use the LED light I linked acting as supplemental lighting. In my experience, pepper plants have been very adaptable to non-pHd water, but if you have yellowing its most likely a pH imbalance whether youre growing peppers or something else.

Chilidude said:

That 450w HPS/MH part is total marketing hype for the led being only 130 dollars, but i bet it is still very good for the money.
Agreed, not sure what this one is actually putting out, but I suspect it's closer to a 250w equivalent. I'm generally not a fan of most of the LED grow light manufactures out there, so I build my own, but you get what you pay for and this is perfect for the purpose I want it to serve and I've been happy with it thus far all things considered.

Back