• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Using a dehydrator

Hi all, relatively new user here. I have already gotten bucket loads of info from this forum, thanks for that.

I have just bought myself a dehydrator, going to use it for fruits, veges, jerky, etc.

So naturally my thoughts went to drying my orange habaneros to preserve them.

Looking through the forums for info, and it seems that most people here dry their chillies and turn them into powder or flakes.
Is there any reason why not to keep them whole for future use? Am I missing something or is this just to make them easier to use in recipes etc?

I read low temp and long time for doing the drying, so all good there unless I am told otherwise.

Lastly, your opinion on should I cut them in half before drying or leave whole.

Thanks.

Welcome! Glad to have you post.

Think about how the dried chile would be used. When does anyone use whole dried chiles for anything? Sometimes the peppers are rehydrated and used into sauces and dinner dishes, sometimes ground into flakes or powder....

Cut peppers in half to accelerate drying, smaller pieces take up less space for storage... Do whatever works for you.
SL

Just going to throw out there that since mankind invented freezers, there's at least one more method of preserving food that doesn't involve drying if you don't want to go that route.

salsalady said:
Think about how the dried chile would be used. When does anyone use whole dried chiles for anything? 

Someone should really pass this on to the nutcases that are drying anchos, chipotles, guajillos, pasillas, anaheims, nu mexes, cascabells, arbols, etc... whole. ;)

hogleg said:
Cut in half

Nothing wrong with keeping them as dried halves

Ditto!  I ground my first batch when I acquired my dehydrator, just because I hadn't done that before.  Nice alternative to the typical ground red pepper from the store. 

I dried a bunch of ghost I keep whole. When I want flakes on a dish I literally pick one up and crush it over it. Other reasons to keep whole are for making Mexican dishes like mole etc. Or even chili con carne.

Powders take up less space, and can be more readily used on meals and in cooking is all. Really it's up to you!

bob65 said:
Lastly, your opinion on should I cut them in half before drying or leave whole.

Thanks.

Cutting in half not only speeds dry time, it allows you to deseed. So if you dry whole, and blend, you are getting seeds. Boom.

They start losing flavor as soon as you grind them. I dry them cut in half and store that way. I grind them as the need arises, you retain much more flavor that way. I do the same with the garlic I dry, I dry them as little chips, store and grind into powder as needed.

That happens more with aromatics or things you toasted like seeds. With peppers have not found that to be the case.

The Hot Pepper said:
I have some AlabamaJack 2009 stash lol.
Yeah I have stuff that old but did not make same in 2017 so can't compare. Even the smoked stuff holds on amazing!

I opened some Korean Flakes last week and they were all molded, made by 'Season with Spice'

Yeah, honesty if you plan to buy more than 4 or 5 the bottling supply places are better. I recommend Freund. Can get glass, with sift/spoon lids, and no minimum order requirements.

Back