29 replies to this topic

#21 alkhall

alkhall

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:11 PM

I dry whole pods. Because I dry in the house, I found that halving them tended to create fumes, and when you have 200 superhots dehydrating, the fumes can get a little intense for a while. I store my whole dried pods in Mason jars. A half gallon Mason jar holds quite a few pods. When I need some flakes or powder, I take a few pods out and throw them in the old Osterizer. I set my Excalibur to 145°-150°F, and it usually takes less than 48 hours for even the biggest pods. For storage of flakes/powders I only use glass containers with solid lids.

I'm your truth, telling lies, I'm your reasoned alibis-Ulrich/Hetfield

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#22 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 13,957 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:36 PM

These are pretty cool.
https://www.myspicer...th-grinder-top/
PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#23 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,042 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

But you don't need to grind them. You could add some Himalayan salt I spose. :)

#24 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 13,957 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:14 PM

A rough flake would work.

I have used these for seasoning salt spice/Chile blends. Gets the benefit of sorta grinding as needed. 😀
PureEvilProducts
The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"
PepperPeopleRock! 

#25 Chorizo857_62J

Chorizo857_62J

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts
  • aka:Fatknuckle

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:39 AM

I picked up one last year, and it is wonderful.  5 tray Ronco.  Made a smoked habanero powder this weekend, in addition to other excesses.  Does tend to gas the entire house in the process.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180324_181522.jpg
  • 20180325_144705.jpg
  • 20180325_150436.jpg

#26 Chorizo857_62J

Chorizo857_62J

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:20 AM

Those are!

#27 Corv

Corv

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

Just purchased a Nesco Dehydrator doing whole pods at 135 degrees not sure how long it takes

Placed in some large Jamican Habeneros the lid wouldnt go down in less than an hour the lid went down so the process is working

not sure how many hours? I heard 20 to 40.Have a selection in there Red Ghost some bananna and cayennes.

#28 Corv

Corv

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:24 PM

Also can cut a small slit  lengthwise in the side of a  whole pepper and speed dehydration time my first batch im doing whole peppers no cuts.

#29 Chorizo857_62J

Chorizo857_62J

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:44 PM

Sliced or just a slit, once they are dry, you can ground or powder it that is the intent, or bag individually or in bulk. I like t make sure stems are removed before grounding, but I do sometimes include the seeds, etc.   Really depends on what you want.

#30 JD4JC

JD4JC

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:43 PM

They start losing flavor as soon as you grind them. I dry them cut in half and store that way. I grind them as the need arises, you retain much more flavor that way. I do the same with the garlic I dry, I dry them as little chips, store and grind into powder as needed.

I freeze dry my ghosts, jalapeños and habaneros, powder them and store them in vacuum jars. I don't think that they will loose any potency for years!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests